Mozart Concerto No. 3 Rhythm With Grace Notes

November 24, 2017, 9:18 PM · Go! Pull out your music for Mozart 3 and come back when you have it. Then go to measure 85 in the 1st movement. See the grace note E, leading into the D? If you do, please help me with this: should you play this grace note quickly leading into the D and keep the C# as a normal 16th note, or play the E, D, and C# together, like Triplets? I heard Hahn in her recording on youtube play it with the normal length 16th note C#, but I think Ithzak Perlman and some others played like a triplet. Tell me how you played it and think it should be played.

Replies (8)

November 24, 2017, 10:37 PM · I think a quick grace note is good.
November 25, 2017, 12:58 AM · That's how I've been practicing it.
November 25, 2017, 10:44 AM · Good to know.
November 25, 2017, 1:55 PM · hi Harrison, if Hilary Hahn plays it in one way and Perlman plays it in another way, what is the logical conclusion? that your real worries are probably elsewhere...
November 25, 2017, 3:20 PM · Ummm... english please. Plus, that wasn't the point of the the question. I am asking, what do you think would sound best. And where are my worries?
Edited: November 25, 2017, 4:54 PM · I don't think Jean intended any snark. I think she only meant that it was acceptable both ways based on the performances of two celebrated pros, which means that it's up to your own personal taste. That doesn't preclude you asking others their opinion, though, and I understand that's the point of your question. So: I like the grace note sound, personally. But the triplet sound is easier to articulate on the violin, at least in my amateur hands.
November 25, 2017, 8:00 PM · I completely agree with you. I think I'll stick with the grace note then. Thanks.
Edited: November 27, 2017, 10:39 AM · At this time the convention was to notate appogiaturas (sp?) as grace notes. They can be the same value as a "big" note, or shorter, or even longer, before the beat or on the beat. We try to respect what we read in the contemporary texts, like Quantz, Leopold Mozart,.. But beware of firm rules. It's a judgement call and there is room for more than one opinion. For that spot I would give the rest its full value and turn the ornament into a triplet.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music