Mozart 3 Cadenza and Etudes

Edited: November 22, 2017, 12:32 AM · Soo...I'm working on Mozart's third violin concerto, and I'm learning the Franko cadenza. At the very end, it has double stops where both notes are trilled. Does anybody have any tips on how to practice these? I would also like some tips on how to develop a faster trill. Oh, and I am not really doing any etudes right now (I deserve a spanking). What etudes books should I use, that would help me develop good technique for Mozart 3?

Thanks, Harrison

Replies (14)

November 21, 2017, 11:08 PM · You can omit the trill on the bottom. It is insane difficult. Unnecessary tension in your left hand, or a less-than-optimal hand position, may be causing problems with trills.
Edited: November 22, 2017, 12:33 AM · Yeah. The Only other time ive seen those crazy double stop trills is in paganini caprices. I'll take that into consideration with my teacher. Thanks.
November 22, 2017, 3:19 AM · Scales, scales in broken thirds, scales in double-stopped thirds. The more fluent you become in the latter, the less crazy trilling in double-stopped thirds will seem!
November 22, 2017, 5:39 AM · There is not a fast-and-easy way to deal with to those double-stop trills. Jean's approach really sounds best but it's not an overnight fix. Most students I have heard play the Franko cadenza only trill the upper note. You could switch to the Flesch cadenza but I think that one is significantly harder.
Edited: November 22, 2017, 7:21 AM · See Double trills? NEED HELP QUICKLY!

Ella and Paul's suggestion, along with Bruce's on the other thread, is probably best: just omit the lower trill.

Edited: November 22, 2017, 9:02 AM · I assume the double-stop is 3rd and you are trilling from (13) to (24)? If that is the case here is an exercise my teacher taught me: starting from (13), then you do the following pattern (13)-(23)-(24)-(14)-(13)..... (Doing this pattern helps with finger independence and intonation.) First do it slowly such as each double stop is a quarter note. Then you speed it up to eight notes, then 16th notes. Afterwards attempt the trill.

By the way, the notes are in slurs. Each bow stroke equals to two quarter notes.

Edited: November 22, 2017, 12:33 PM · I didn't know there was a flesch cadenza for mozart 3? Where can I listen to it?
November 22, 2017, 12:32 PM · What adbout etudes? Which etude books should I get that could improve my technique for the piece?
Edited: November 23, 2017, 7:04 PM · Kreutzer 41 has double stop trills in thirds.

Also, if you really want to go nuts I believe the Yampolsky edition of Kreutzer has an alternate version of number 40 (Half-note trills) in double stops, but I don't have the edition on me at the moment. His edition is split into two books, so that should be in the second volume.

Edit - So I checked and the Yampolsky edition only has a suggestion for etude 22 (in that edition), which is the one with trills on a descending melody. It gives an alternative fragment in alternating thirds, which approximates double trills. The half-note trills one has double stops but not double trills.

November 22, 2017, 7:53 PM · Harrison, why doesn't your teacher assign you etudes?
November 22, 2017, 7:55 PM · Maybe he’s a Schipps acolyte;)
Edited: November 22, 2017, 9:23 PM · Lydia, I don't really know. Maybe I'll ask him. I don't really know why he wouldn't. Then only etude books that he has given me is a melodious double-stops book. If you're wondering, it doea not have any trills.
November 26, 2017, 2:40 PM · Paganini Caprice No. 3 is full of double-stopped trills. The trills in that caprice are in octaves. That is scary.
December 7, 2017, 7:13 AM · Hello friends. I will take the graduate exam soon. mozart violin concerto no 3 (sam franko) I need a cadenza note.
if you have it you can share it with me via email etc. thanks.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music