Best fiddle duets

Edited: November 20, 2017, 8:31 PM · I need to get some good fiddle duets for some young students -- one is in Suzuki Book 1 and the other in Book 2.

Also, I'd love any suggestions for duets for Suzuki Book 4 level - doesn't have to be fiddle.

Replies (11)

November 20, 2017, 8:45 PM · Some fiddle songs I played at that level ( although they where not duets):
Devil’s dream
Kalinka
Old Joe Clark

I should note that I have never seen any of these in duet form, and it is quite possible that it might not work.

November 20, 2017, 8:54 PM · By fiddle, do you mean actual fiddle? Teach a song- Angeline the Baker is a good one- and have one play the melody and the other rhythmic harmony, then switch for repeat.

You could either write a harmony, or if you've got the time in lessons, have the two students experiment with it. Pretty much just play a chord in the triad of the original key and that's that.

Edited: November 20, 2017, 9:06 PM · here's a website called "fiddle duets" that says the music is for beginners. Free downloads. I hope this helps.

https://www.fiddleduets.com/

November 21, 2017, 4:00 AM · I enjoyed playing Pleyel duets in Suzuki book four. I believe that's also when we tackled Michael McLean Tangos.
November 21, 2017, 5:16 AM · I remember doing Pleyel and Mazas duets as a kid. I always considered it a special treat when my teacher would play the other part. Some things you never grow out of. :)
November 21, 2017, 10:58 AM · Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming! At this point I'd love things that are already in a nice clever duet form -- yes, Michael McLean's duets are always great, good to be reminded of those!
November 21, 2017, 11:36 AM · Of course there are the Bartok Duos which start at a very straightforward level. On first encountering them during my second year of tuition I remember thinking that this was "real" music I wanted to play much more of.
November 21, 2017, 11:40 AM · The 12 horn duets by Mozart are available for two violins. Or violin and viola.
More difficult are the duos by Igudesman. I have had great fun playing those with my daughter.
November 21, 2017, 1:37 PM · American and British Isles traditional fiddle styles are mostly solo . For a traditional duet genre there is Sweden and East Europe. In addition to the Bartok duets there are two books arranged by Mary Ann Harbar, published by Mel Bay. The Doflein series that I like to use has lots of duets.
Edited: November 21, 2017, 8:08 PM · Dont Op. 38 has a second violin part, which is generally easier than the regular studies (but not trivial -- a few double stops can be ignored, for example). Could be good for siblings a year or two apart. The second part never has the tune though.

Perhaps inspired, at least in part, by the clever Duet book that goes with the first few Suzuki books, violin teachers the world over have written their own two-violin (and three-violin, four-violin, etc.) arrangements for their Suzuki groups to perform. What I see is that these are not widely shared, for two main reasons. First, the teacher hopes that someday (s)he might have enough of these and they might be good enough to publish them and make some real money. The second reason works against that plan -- the fear that distributing an arrangement of "Old Joe Clark" or "Happy Birthday" will land them in court for infringing someone else's copyright. It's rather sad because, trust me, there is a LOT of this stuff out there and some of it is quite good.

November 21, 2017, 10:36 PM · I know that you asked for fiddle duets specifically, but I personally use Samuel Applebaum's duet series, which are graded duets. I think they're just terrific. You might already know about them, but thought I'd mention it anyways :). There might be a couple of fiddle tunes in there.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music