What are some good E-strings to use with Dominant G, D, A strings?

Edited: November 20, 2017, 8:36 AM · I'm looking for a good E-string to blend with with Dominant G, D, and A strings. I would like something with a warmer, rounder, less tinny sound. My violin tends to be very loud, so I would like something that is a bit less shrill. I've heard good things about Pirastro Eudoxa and Oliv e-strings, as well as Lenzer Goldbrokats. I know that a lot of people like to use Pirastro Gold e's with Dominant strings, but I haven't had a good experience with these before, as they tend to rust very easily. If anyone has a good suggestion, I would appreciate any input!

Replies (12)

Edited: November 20, 2017, 8:50 AM · have you tried the wound Dominant e, there are other wound es, Eudoxa has it as an option, I believe. Wound e will solve the shrillness factor, I think almost all solid steel es are going to have that problem on your violin, maybe Pirastro Evah gold e
November 20, 2017, 9:39 AM · I had some success with Warchal Amber E with Dominants G, D, and A after experimenting with Goldbrokat and Pirastro Gold. If you have trouble with whistling, Amber E is a solution. Hope this helps.
November 20, 2017, 10:00 AM · I really like Olive Es, and have happily used them with Dominants.
November 20, 2017, 10:10 AM · Sung, his problem is not with whistling, his problem is on his violin the e sounds to shrill or bright, I don't think any steel e, amber or otherwise is going to be noticeably less shrill, that's why I recommended a wound e.
Edited: November 20, 2017, 10:31 AM · Lyndon,

I mentioned whistling because it is a common problem with the E string so I thought it was good to know. Also I recommended Amber E to OP because it sounded less shrilling than Dominant or Pirastro Gold E to my ears. Hope this clears up a bit.

November 20, 2017, 10:36 AM · The Hill Heavy Gauge is working well with the Infeld Blue strings on my instrument.
November 21, 2017, 1:30 AM · Jargar Forte or Medium are both good choices for an E string paired with Dominants.
November 21, 2017, 2:33 AM · Most professionals will not use the DOMINANT E string. The same for the DOMINANT A string.
LARSEN and JARGAR E strings are popular choices.
Edited: November 21, 2017, 5:08 AM · I actually like the wound Dominant E: sweet and singing.

But then I am a violist..

November 21, 2017, 6:42 AM · @ Manfio -- do you mean the Violin E and the Viola A, specifically? Many violinists use the A -- it is fine.

Best E's for Dominants?

Jargar
Gold Label
Hill
Goldbrokat
Passione

November 21, 2017, 6:58 AM · I have a Goldbrokat to go or a Gold Label. I don't know why, but stuff with the name 'gold' somehow makes it into my combos with Dominants and Visions.
Edited: November 21, 2017, 12:29 PM · I dearly hate wound "E" strings. They do cut the highs & shrillness, but, to me, they feel hideous under the fingers and fray and wear out quickly. But everyone has different taste.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music