What music piece that can express someone's technical ability?

November 20, 2017, 7:37 AM · Out of curiosity, I was wondering what music pieces can help bring out a players technical ability when playing the violin.

Replies (14)

November 20, 2017, 7:59 AM · I don't think that could be answered without more information and recordings.
November 20, 2017, 8:02 AM · I have a scholarship requirement sheet and it requires me to play a music piece that brings out my technical ability.
November 20, 2017, 8:11 AM · What are some of the most recent/hardest pieces you've played?
November 20, 2017, 10:13 AM · I recently played the Serenade for strings by Tchaikowsky the 1st,3rd and last movement. along with Debussy's ANdantino for String Orchestra.
November 20, 2017, 10:34 AM · I think standard concerto or fast solo pieces are more suitable for the purpose, rather than string orchestra works.
November 20, 2017, 10:36 AM · The Paganini caprices are considered pretty decent vehicles.
November 20, 2017, 11:05 AM · What do you personally think would be a lyrical piece?
November 20, 2017, 11:43 AM · Lyrical pieces will include things like "Meditation from Thais". But it depends on your level. I think the question about what you've played recently refers to solo repertoire, not orchestra parts. If you take private lessons, what are you working on with your teacher for solo performance?
November 20, 2017, 11:46 AM · Yes, solo pieces, not orchestra parts.
November 20, 2017, 11:49 AM · I was told that some orchestra pieces are fine but right now I am working on the Bach Partita No.2
Edited: November 20, 2017, 12:12 PM · Usually what is meant by a technical vehicle is the first movement of a standard concerto, or a shorter piece such as a work by Sarasate or Kreisler. A lyrical piece would include, as Paul said, Meditation from Thais, or perhaps the Romance from Wieniawski Concerto #2. But you really need to be discussing your repertoire choices with your private teacher. If you don't have a private teacher, that is an additional complication.

What is appropriate repertoire is also heavily dependent on the schools to which you are applying. What might get you into the local branch of a state university is not what will get you into the flagship state university campus, or a good private university with a serious music school, and what might get you into one of the latter will not get you into a first tier conservatory.

I wish you all success in your applications but I am concerned that you are not getting enough guidance.

November 20, 2017, 7:55 PM · From the OP's post on the Bruch, they do have a private teacher.

If your audition program is Bruch first movement, and Bach Adagio from Sonata No. 1 plus a yet-to-be-chosen contrasting movement, plus this "demonstrate your technical abilities" bit, I'm going to assume that this is a fairly standard undergrad audition of "first movement of a major concerto, two contrasting movements of solo Bach, and a virtuosic showpiece".

Virtuosic showpieces are typically (easier) Sarasate or Wieniawski for a student playing Bruch-level repertoire.

But if the scholarship audition is separate, I would recycle your Bruch for this purpose. You presumably already intend to have it well-prepared by the deadline.

November 20, 2017, 7:58 PM · You might consider Sarasate's Romanza Andaluza as a technical showpiece.
November 21, 2017, 1:52 AM · I'm doing Bruch right now and it's paired with Sarasate's Zapateado, which is a fun little showpiece that shows off technical ability.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music