Violin String problems

November 19, 2017, 12:58 PM · So I recently got a Jargar E Forte for my violin to compliment my dominant strings. But when I put it on, I noticed that the metallic part of the string wraps around the peg. The "thing" that covers the mettalic part is too short I think for my violin... Is that ok? Is there a remedies for this problem?

Replies (11)

November 19, 2017, 1:39 PM · I have never had this problem with full size strings, but when I bought generic fractional size strings, I did have the same problem. I noticed that it left a fairly deep mark in the cheap pegs. Pretty sure they gave me strings that where too big.
Edited: November 19, 2017, 2:05 PM · Hmmm is there anything I can do to protect the peg?
November 19, 2017, 1:58 PM · Not that I know of.
November 19, 2017, 3:12 PM · Actually, I just put new strings on my violin, and my Goldbroakt E has the same problem.
November 19, 2017, 3:56 PM · I have a Jager Med E on one of my fiddles and still have better than a cm of wrapping free of the peg... this particular fiddle is a bit petite.... 353 LOB.

Another fiddle has a Goldbroakt E and several winding of plain steel on the peg..... lucky on that one the pegs are Knilling planetary so I'm not too worried about peg damage.

Have you checked your after length?? (Between the bridge and the tailpiece) [ Should be about 1/6th the scale length, about 54mm to 56mm]

November 19, 2017, 9:10 PM · What is this Knilling planetary peg?
Edited: November 19, 2017, 11:35 PM · Knilling Perfection and Whitner both make pegs that have planetary gears inside an aluminum and synthetic peg that looks like a regular wooden peg that turn a "barrel" in the center of the peg.

They mount in the same tapered hole in the peg box but only the Button and the center barrel turn.

Knillings have reverse threads (very fine) , Whitners are press fit into the peg box sides.

Both are mechanical pegs that look like and are fitted the same as regular pegs.

Advantages: No wear to the pegbox holes/walls, no slipping, 4:1 tuning ratio, very smooth.

Edited: November 20, 2017, 8:53 AM · Knillig's pegs are based on the Peghed design ( http://www.pegheds.com ). The Knillings and Pegheds have a reduced ratio of turns of the handle (wing) to turns of the peg of 4:1. The Wittners ratio is 8:1. Both of these slow one down when installing a new string, but are an advantage with normal tuning - both virtually eliminate any advantage of fine tuners on the tailpiece - even for cellos. The Knillings/Pegheds seem to have continuous tuning stops, although I have found they dune better going up to the note than down from above. The Wittners seem to have "click" stops, but they seem close enough to allow "perfect "tuning." I've only installed one set of Wittners, but about a dozen Pegheds/Knillings.
November 20, 2017, 1:49 PM · Is there another option?
November 20, 2017, 3:50 PM · If the violin is not an expensive one there is the real possibility that its pegs are of an inferior, softish wood, which is easily marked and dug into by the strings, especially the A and E. In an extreme situation the string could cut into a soft peg and weaken it to the extent that it could break. But the big problem with inferior pegs is that they do not turn as well as they should in the peg holes and tend to wear out very quickly. The answer is to invest in properly fitted hardwood pegs, or go for the geared pegging.
November 22, 2017, 5:50 AM · I do understand that. I do not seem to have any problems with my full size more expensive violin, I only see the problems on my $50 pawn shop violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music