Another 'what to play next'

November 18, 2017, 6:14 PM · I'm looking for something to play next- I'm an adult, no competitions, only for my own entertainment. I'm currently polishing spots on the Saint-Saens. I'm always working on a movement of Bach- right now it's the B minor Sarabande. Before the Saint-Saens, I played Reger's Opus 117, no 6. I don't necessarily have to play something difficult, but I also don't mind a challenge. I'm sort of burnt out on the violin standards, so something different would be great. Any suggestions?

Replies (6)

November 18, 2017, 7:15 PM · You should check out Dorothy Delay's sequence of repertoire on the internet. It has "levels" of repertoire, you can just move through those as you go :)
Edited: November 18, 2017, 8:05 PM · Since the OP is looking to avoid the standards, I don't think the Delay sequence will be very helpful to them.

Do you have a good pianist that you could play with regularly? i.e., are violin/sonatas okay?

Have you done the Prokofiev solo sonata, or if you haven't, is that too "standard" repertoire for your current desires?

Edited: November 18, 2017, 8:20 PM · Like Lydia, I don't know what you mean by "violin standards". If you mean concerto repertoire and solo Bach, there is a lot more out there within the classical realm.

Hindemith also has a solo sonata. I don't think it's too easy but you must be an advanced player if you are finishing Saint-Saens.

November 18, 2017, 11:16 PM · How about Perlman's arrangement of rag songs? They're hard, but they may be doable. How about Khachaturian's Violin Sonata? Do you think your teacher may be helpful? I think the OP is just looking for something unusual. What about the Biber Sonatas?
November 18, 2017, 11:28 PM · Well if you really want to go for the unusual, there are the four Ives violin sonatas. You need a fabulous pianist for those, though. If you have any kind of church background, the fourth sonata is kind of fun.

I played several movements from Ned Rorem's "Night Music" on my senior recital a very very very long time ago...gorgeous.

November 19, 2017, 1:35 PM · "I think the OP is just looking for something unusual."

Sort of- I'm old and I've played a lot of stuff!

Lydia, I did the second movement of Prokofiev about 10 years ago, it's really beautiful. I don't have a good pianist- thus so much unaccompanied violin rep. Paul I love playing Hindemith! I've played some of the solo sonatas and over the summer, my sister and I played the violin-clarinet duet. Some Hindemith is easier than others, and I've not touched any of the really hard stuff. Ella, I've played the first and last of the rosary sonatas, but none of the accompanied ones. Mary Ellen, I haven't seen the sheet music, but Night Music sounds out of my technical and musical range unless I decide to get a teacher. That did pull up a really interesting playlist on youtube though! For Aaron Copland, by Feldman ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I4ld3p3Sa0 ), which I played this morning and the Harbison Songs of Solitude, which I bought a few years ago and forgot about. Ives looks interesting, and I'm thinking of going with that in the hopes that a pianist will appear. Thanks!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music