Categories

Edited: November 17, 2017, 10:28 PM · This post in itself is a great example: what category makes the most sense to put it in. Does anyone else think it would be nice to add more categories, and if so, what should they be.

Replies (17)

November 17, 2017, 10:31 PM · Perhaps strings and bows. I guess they could be accessories, but I have seen some discussions under all of the categories. I feel like they come up enough to get there own catégorie. I welcome people to prove me wrong.
Edited: November 18, 2017, 10:46 AM · Well there certainly is a lack of a ‘Performance’ category!
November 18, 2017, 10:35 AM · Definitely.
November 18, 2017, 11:17 AM · My list of categories:
Instruments
Bows
Strings
Rosin
Chin and Shoulder Rests
Mutes
Cases
Other Accessories
Making, Repair and Setup
Technique and Practicing
Teaching and Pedagogy
Performing
Ensemble Playing
Repertoire
Audition, Competition and Performance Prep
Schools, Teachers and Camps
Music Theory
Violinists
Recordings and Performances
Composing, Arranging and Transcribing
Health
News
Related Instruments (Viola and Cello)
Life in General
Off Topic
November 18, 2017, 11:30 AM · Wow. I thought that those where to many categories, but I think all of them make sense.
November 18, 2017, 11:32 AM · It might be cool to add an "acoustics" or "recording techniques", or "production" category.
November 18, 2017, 3:38 PM · Great idea, Lieschen.
November 18, 2017, 10:17 PM · HIP - historically informed peroformance
November 18, 2017, 11:10 PM · Yeah, we could have a category called "historical instruments and performance".
November 21, 2017, 4:38 PM · Not a category, but it would be really nice to be able to 1) look at individual members' post histories and 2) favorite/subscribe to threads. I know this is a very basic forum but I'm still surprised it doesn't have those 2 functions.
November 21, 2017, 9:52 PM · I just thought of another one: Violinist.com This discussion would fit under that title.
Edited: November 21, 2017, 9:57 PM · I ignore the categories and look at 'most everything. If I don't look something it might be because of the title (or lack of it) not because of the category. So it makes no difference to me, "violinist.com" is sufficient for me. Besides most threads end up comprising many other "categories."
Edited: November 21, 2017, 11:09 PM · I'm with Andrew, but that's just us. I'm thinking "Website Problems and Suggestions". A "subscribe" feature would probably be hard to implement, though I wish it were available, especially with email notifications. I would love to subscribe to the whole forum and the whole blog and get email notifications of new posts, and have the ability to automatically follow threads I start or reply to and blogs I comment on.
November 22, 2017, 12:01 AM · Another cool thing would be to make links clickable. That would make things easier, as right now people have to copy every link into their browser in order to open it.
November 22, 2017, 5:48 AM · Yes.My ipad doesn’t let me completely copy the link.
November 22, 2017, 5:48 AM · Yes.My ipad doesn’t let me completely copy the link.
November 22, 2017, 3:03 PM · Roman Reshetkin & Violin Master:

You can post clickable links on this forum but you need to use HTML. I'm guessing that's why most people don't bother. It's very easy though. Here's how to make a hyperlink in HTML:

HTML a Tag

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins