Green tarnish on violin bow frog

November 17, 2017, 9:11 AM · I've been playing on a nice Coda Prodigy bow for quite some time now and the steel on the frog is starting to get the hazy green tarnish. I'm a numismatist and usually on coins the green tarnish that easily cleanable with some certain chemicals. However, considering the cleaner I use for coins would most likely damage the ebony part of the frog, I was wondering if any of you guys have any idea how to clean the green stuff off of my bow.

Thanks,

Violin Kiddu

Replies (4)

Edited: November 17, 2017, 9:56 AM · Probably "nickel-silver" -
Nickel silver - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver
Nickel silver, Mailechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, or electrum is a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. The usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. Nickel silver is named for its silvery appearance, but it contains no elemental silver unless plated.

Green tarnish implies copper content. Just be careful, perhaps use a Q-tip with the cleaner and cover the hair with plastic wrap.
Maybe ask the bow tech to clean it up next time you get it rehaired.

Edited: November 17, 2017, 9:47 AM · Violin, what part has tarnish? Can you post a picture?

p.s. note that it is this forum's policy to use your real name. What shall we call you?

November 17, 2017, 11:26 AM · @Roger Hehe People have always complained about that, but considering I made this back in 7th grade, I suppose I'll stick to this name until it get taken down
Edited: November 17, 2017, 10:04 PM · Hehe, that's an unusual name! Hehe who?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music