Question for luthiers: Violin neck

November 16, 2017, 4:39 AM · Just for reference. How thick and long should be the wood in order to carve a violin neck (without the scroll). And is it necessary any particular wood or are some woods exclusive?

It's for sentimental reasons. My father passed away this year and among his things there was his mountain staff, almost like a wizard Lord of the Rings staff. He had it for 70 years since he started to roam the mountains. It is nothing fancy but I see it every time I go back home and as I am not a mountaneer and I am not going to use it I thought to make something out of it to remember him and the violin part came to mind.
I would love to play some times in a violin that would have his valued staff, as he loved music like few do.

I would not do it myself, of course. I would ask a luthier but I would like to check the possibility before deepening in the project.

Thanks!

Replies (5)

Edited: November 16, 2017, 7:30 AM · From the scroll to the heel is all one piece. Starting out at about 300 x 70 x 55/40 mm. That might be a too much to get from a walking stick. Perhaps you could make a really nice violin stand instead.

edit: Another thought. The walking stick has probably taken on a personality all its own, specially if he had carved anything into it. Why not give it a nice finish and place it in your music room or near the door.

Edited: November 16, 2017, 10:43 AM · In the 19th century many violins had neck grafts. They'd cut from just under the scroll and splice in a new neck and heel to 'modernize' them. Still done today, here's one:
Neck Graft

Sorry Lyndon, worked too hard at the chalkface today!
November 16, 2017, 10:09 AM · that's neck graft!!
Edited: November 16, 2017, 12:07 PM · That's true broken parts/parts of parts are replaced all the time I'm sure. I recently flank faced a pegbox. But I'm not so sure intentionally cutting away a perfectly good neck is the thing to do. Still, he probably could find someone to do it for him, bet it would be expensive though.

prepFF photo 1_zpspvovivxb.jpg
flankfaced photo 2_zps7qehutex.jpg

November 16, 2017, 12:47 PM · It would make a very good cigar box violin!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music