Building up from a 2 year break

November 16, 2017, 3:04 AM · Hey everyone,

After quitting violin for 2 years, I picked it up again 2 months ago. But now - after replaying Kreutzer Etudes 2-8 - I have no clear view on what to choose to build up my repertoire. My main goal is to challenge myself and improve my technique (and to complete the kreutzer Etude book). I'm now playing Mozart Violin Sonata 18 (301), and find it quite easy.

Any recommendations to plan the first couple of years. I have about 10 years of playing experience. I consider myself at intermediate level. (Level 4-6; according to violinmasterclass.com) whose strong point is Intonation.

Thanks in advance.

Replies (3)

November 16, 2017, 3:24 AM · Are you able to get a teacher? They would guide you in what to play, and help prevent any bad habits from forming, which is probably inevitable in this situation.
November 16, 2017, 8:36 AM · Exactly what Gemma said. If you can, get a teacher; they can guide you on this journey.

Kreutzer is really best studied with someone who can both explain the point of a given exercise, and demonstrate how to do it right.

November 17, 2017, 2:31 PM · I would also get a Teacher. I recently left for a little more than a year, and getting private lessons helped get me back to my old level.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music