Appropriate rent for teaching space?

Edited: November 15, 2017, 2:38 PM · Google doesn't seem to be helping me much so I thought I would try here!

I recently moved and am renting a church's "education room" (think large classroom/small auditorium type area) to maintain a handful of students in my old area, once a week, till the end of the school year.

This particular church is not charging me a specific rent, just asking to pay what I feel comfortable with.

I want to choose an amount that reasonably covers utility costs I'll incur plus a little extra. I use light (4 large fluorescents) over a 3-4 hr period, no water, haven't had to turn on the heat yet since the area is used during the day and has been plenty warm so far (though I'll probably need to in the winter, it's the midwest !)

In the past when I've rented in similar situations, I've been charged $50-60 monthly. I used that building for a longer time frame and they ran the heat/air just for me so I suspected they were being nice, but every time I asked nobody wanted the price raised, so ok...I put some extra $$ to it as available :) However, this time around, I offered up to $100 monthly to another church and they sounded like it wasn't even remotely close to covering what their costs would be, for light and heat 4 evenings a month.

So...I'm parking somewhere in the middle for now but wondering if anybody here has the expertise to at least check my ballpark? I don't make much on this evening in the first place, between babysitting, gas/corollary costs, and no good options for rescheduling sick lessons, but I'd like to maintain it through the school year rather than scramble a transition for my students.

Thanks!

Replies (4)

November 15, 2017, 2:53 PM · The churches that my friends/customers teach from charge a percentage of the amount earned. They also require that they, the church,be named on the teacher's liability insurance policy.
November 15, 2017, 7:16 PM · Thanks! Yes, the church I rented in the past used a percentage but based it (originally) on estimated utility cost.
I just want to make sure that i *am* covering that...I'm pretty sure the current situation I'm paying plenty, maybe more than, but after talking to this other place I'm just not sure!

Yes, I have made sure to have the insurance coverage! :)

Edited: November 15, 2017, 8:43 PM · If you're using it 3/4 hours 4 days a month then that seems pretty reasonable.

If they're allowing you use of the space then they likely aren't utilizing it at this time. For them it's a winning situation where they lose nothing and gain quite a bit.. There is someone on the premises to deter break ins, report damage, and turn the heat on in the colder seasons to ensure the pipes don't burst.

For such a small amount of time your impact on their utilities is going to be negligible, so it's just profit. If it's not enough you'll probably be able to tell based on how they treat you for the rest of the conversation. To me, it sounds fair.

November 16, 2017, 9:16 AM · Thanks Michael :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music