Violin books...not those kinds

November 14, 2017, 5:03 AM · I mean fictional thrillers such as those that Gerald Elias and Paul Adam writes. Or biographies such as Arnold Steinhardt's and Yehudi Menuhin's. Any other recommendations? I find them enjoyable.

Replies (15)

November 14, 2017, 8:35 AM · If you haven't read Milstein's "From Russia to the West", his autobiography, it's delightful.
November 14, 2017, 8:45 AM · If you want biographies, link to Amazon.com book section and enter the names of violinists (etc.) you would like to read about and you will get titles. The list is far too long for me to put it here.
November 14, 2017, 9:58 AM · There's two children's novels Yang the Youngest and his Terrible Ear and Yang the Eldest and his Odd Jobs.
November 14, 2017, 12:59 PM · It's quite dated, and it's not violin, but Elyse Mach's book "Great Contemporary Pianists Speak For Themselves" is one that I enjoyed very much. There is also "Virtuoso" by Harvey Sachs which I've not read but I've heard it's good. These are the kinds of books (especially Mach's) that you might not pick up searching Andrew's way because they are compilations.

I also enjoyed Artur Rubinstein's autobiography, although it's quite long (two volumes, I believe). For some reason pianists seem to have more flamboyant lifestyles.

November 14, 2017, 5:37 PM · I have a soft spot for Arnold Gingrich's "A Thousand Mornings of Music."
November 14, 2017, 8:10 PM · A recent novel by Tess Gerritsen called "Playing with Fire: A Novel" featured a violinist and a piece of music found in an antique store. It is a historical novel set in the present and prior to WWII. A delightful read - so good I listened to it (on Audible) twice. The audible version also features some violin pieces central to the plot. Highly recommended.
November 14, 2017, 8:13 PM · I think "An Equal Music" by Vikram Seth is a must for any musician or music lover...
November 15, 2017, 3:38 AM · For fiction I enjoyed The Auschwitz Violin
November 15, 2017, 5:43 AM · "An Equal Music" for sure. I'd love to see the movie that hasn't been made yet. At least is wouldn't end with a fist fight, Strads in hand, like "A Late Quartet"
November 15, 2017, 9:14 AM · The Violin Hunter by William Silverman is a good read.
November 15, 2017, 1:08 PM · The way They Play, series of books containing wonderful articles about great string players, their stories, views, techniques and artistry, written by Samuel and Sada Applebaun.

If you read Chinese, then you'd enjoy reading Ning Feng's biography.

November 15, 2017, 5:40 PM · Thanks all. I reserved about five books I didn't realized existed all based on your recommendations and availability at the public library. Can't wait to get to them over the Thanksgiving holidays!

Keep them coming!

November 16, 2017, 2:51 PM · Violin Mastery - Talks with Master Violinists and Teachers is a very interesting read. Interviews with some very famous names from the early 1900s. Also the price is right - it's free.

Neil

November 16, 2017, 3:22 PM · Violins of Hope: Violins of the Holocaust by James A. Grymes
Violin Dreams by Arnold Steinhardt
Gone: A Girl, a Violin, a Life Unstrung by Min Kym

Just a few fairly recent books.

November 16, 2017, 3:38 PM · Not violin, but the Shostakovich testimony is pretty good, as well as My Father, by Bartok's son, Peter Bartok. Also, if you can read German, there is Komponistinnen in Deutschland, by Roswitha Sperber.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music