TARISIO T2

November 12, 2017, 9:47 PM · I have seen that Tarisio has two different auction lines. The normal one, and one they call "T2". This one is, as they put it, speculative. It consists in "instruments and bows that are in need of restoration, have uncertain attributions or are from a trade workshop".
However, the regular auctions also have a lot of "labelled" and dubious instruments and I am wondering if T2 is just mutts (not a problem for me, mutts can be fantastic) or are they just lemons in need of big repairs to get something from them?

Any experience with this T2?

Replies (6)

Edited: November 12, 2017, 10:04 PM · I have both bought and sold at the T2 Auction.

No guarantees of anything.

I have dumped things that I have had in the shop for many years, and I have purchased things that I have done well with.

What works in one market may not in another. I haven't sent any junk there, and I have had things returned that Jason said were not up to the standard of what they wanted to sell. Now the Skinner auction is the wild west! You could get really, really lucky, or get junk.

Know what you are bidding on, in your opinion, ask for condition reports, and know that they are very helpful. If you have a question not answered by looking and the condition report you can ask questions and get answers.

November 12, 2017, 11:10 PM · So far all communication with Tarisio have been excellent. Polite and informative. About the T2 in particular, the prices are tempting and knowing that it is a minor league makes me have a healthy awareness of the condition of the items...
November 12, 2017, 11:14 PM · I've seen things on there that I would love to bid on, but rarely have the capital available to make it 'not a risk'.

You've made me interested again, curse you Carlos! I'm looking forward to seeing what people share, perhaps I'll be emboldened one day to wade in.

November 13, 2017, 10:37 AM · Carlos,

The prices are supposed to be tempting! They want to sell everything. That is how they make money. Setting the reserve or opening bid too high makes it less tempting. Once someone bids, off we go!
Do keep in mind what you are willing to pay, fees and shipping included, and try not to get into a bidding war. The passion of the moment will sometimes carry you past the point of profitability or reason.

November 14, 2017, 3:55 PM · I see that they will sell you a shaped case for about $175 if you win a violin at auction. Does anyone know anything about these cases? They resemble Bam cases.
November 14, 2017, 4:16 PM · I've gotten things wrapped in paper and bubble wrap, floated in peanuts in a box, insured. Never had a problem, never needed a case.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music