Discussion with missing title (bow sliding on A-string?)

Edited: November 12, 2017, 7:49 AM · A member recently started a discussion about a problem he has with the bow sliding on his A-string, no matter what make of string or rosin he uses. Unfortunately, because the title of the discussion is missing it cannot be accessed without hacking its link.

Here is the link to that discussion:
http://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=729

Replies (2)

November 12, 2017, 7:29 AM · How kind of you!
November 12, 2017, 7:43 AM · Since the "missing poster," Terry Carscadden started playing the violin at age 11 and is now 83, I will assume he has been playing for 72 years. So-I have a couple of questions about all 4 of his bows slipping ONLY on the A string:
1.What direction is it slipping?
2. How long has he had this problem?
3. What kind of strings is he using.

If the slipping is recent and latitudinal it could be because he has recently changed some of the positions/angles of his playing (for some reason) and the bow is no longer moving perpendicular to the A string. Age has a nasty way of affecting our playing (I'm also 83-I've got some experience along these lines).

If the slipping is just a failure to grip the string it might be resolved by cleaning the bow hair with alcohol - or rehairing the bows (how long since that was done?). I have found that alcohol-cleaning bows' hair has greatly reduced my luthier visits.

Also - try some cello rosin - if that slips it's the player for sure!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music