CigarBox Violins

November 11, 2017, 2:49 PM · Hallo all,I have two things to say today.

I've been going through the world of Pinterest and I came across something called the 'Cigar Box Violin.' It's where they use a cigar box and craft a violin out of. I haven't listened to any audio recordings yet but I plan to. I was wondering how many of you guys have ever encountered a cigar box violin.

Now it made me thinking, 'Hey, if people can grab some random cigar box and make a violin out of it, can't I grab some wood, make a 14 in box, and call it a box violin?' I told my engineering brother about it and he told me that 90 degree angles for instruments are bad. Can anybody vouch for that?

Thanks all,

Violin Kiddu

Replies (12)

Edited: November 11, 2017, 4:38 PM · I have an old copy, from the 30's, copy of an American Woodworker magazine that details making a fiddle from a cigar boz with a broom stick neck.

90 degree angles might be bad for some instruments, but for a cigar box fiddle, they are a requirement!

Yes, you can buy some random wood and make a box, but a 3 buck cigar box is the way to go.

Below is a link to a copy of the orig. article.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/page/how-to-build-a-cigar-box-violin-1940-plans

November 11, 2017, 5:29 PM · I have seen quite a few pictures of matchstick violins, some appeared crudely constructed yet others looked incredible. One of them was made by a felon in prison and another was made by a sailor.
November 11, 2017, 5:46 PM · @duane that's cool! Supposedly 90 degree angles would dampen certain pitches because of some engineering reason (I'm not an engineer so I can't explain)
November 11, 2017, 5:46 PM · @duane that's cool! Supposedly 90 degree angles would dampen certain pitches because of some engineering reason (I'm not an engineer so I can't explain)
November 11, 2017, 6:47 PM · I am sure that the 90 degree andles would dampen some frequencies, but if you are choosing to build a violin out of a cigar box then tone is not your first concern!

In the orig. magazine article it cautions the makers of the violin to ask your mom/wife before cutting the end of her broom handle off.

November 12, 2017, 10:57 AM · @duane I wonder if my mom even remembers about our broom
November 12, 2017, 6:40 PM · "some engineering reason" ... LOL
November 14, 2017, 11:25 AM · There was an instrument called a "creuth", which looked a little more boxlike than a violin does. The Rudolf Steiner people made and sold them cheaper than their violins (They called them "Crotha"s).
November 14, 2017, 12:04 PM · CRWTH is the proper spelling. I've set up one and repaired one. It is Welsh.
November 14, 2017, 12:56 PM · Crwth sounds like a winning word in a Scrabble game.
November 14, 2017, 1:19 PM · I have used it. It always instigates a challenge!
Edited: November 15, 2017, 7:15 PM · I bought a nice Lira da Braccio from a luthier named Glenn Braun on Etsy. He also makes Crwths:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/215441806/welsh-crwth-krooth?ref=shop_home_active_7

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music