E.M. Penzel Viola Bow

November 10, 2017, 3:17 PM · Does anyone have an idea of the approproximate value of an E.M. Penzel Viola bow? The bow is stamped E.M. Penzel with a treble clef on each side of the name. It is silver mounted.
Google searches include a wide range of auction prices, etc. and I know there are a lot of Penzel bows by various makers out there. I'm considering purchasing the bow and want to be sure it is priced fairly.

Replies (5)

November 10, 2017, 6:26 PM · I would try it out and see for yourself, as opinions on subject matters like this are very subjective. If you need a new bow, try a variety of affordable bows and pick your fave.
November 10, 2017, 7:10 PM · I am trying the bow and I like it more than most of the others in my price range, but it is a significant monetary investment for me and I want to make sure I am paying a fair price, just in case I wish to sell/upgrade down the road. I'm happy to pay a fair price (not necessarily the lowest I can) for the playing characteristics I want, but at the $3k+ price range, future resale value is something I want to at least consider and weigh as part of my choice.
November 10, 2017, 9:29 PM · Good to know.
November 10, 2017, 9:45 PM · Tarisio auction price history for Penzel bow:
https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/price-history/?Maker_ID=529

But one bow did sell at auction for $3250 .

November 11, 2017, 9:02 AM · Auction prices have little relevance to someone buying at the retail level.

Penzel bows are not uncommon. Do an internet search and if a shop has one, ask about the price.
I have an EM Penzel violin bow. As far as I can tell, the value is between $2k-$4k.
If anyone wants it I'd sell it for $2k.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins