Triple Stops - Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso

November 9, 2017, 6:02 PM · I'm a student currently working on Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, and i'm having a bit of difficulty with the triple stops at the end of the second to last page. It seems that I keep tensing up my right hand when trying to play all three strings at once, which is painful. I'm wondering if there's a way to make the triple stops sound less abrasive (like I'm attacking them) and more climactic to the finish. My teacher advises coming from the air with my bow, and using a round movement to place my bow onto all three strings. Any additional advice or practice to help me tense up less and create a smooth sound across all three strings?

Replies (3)

Edited: November 9, 2017, 6:55 PM · Just happened to look at the sheet music again a couple of hours ago after some years away from it -- the very same measures you cited.

I find it helpful, in passages like this, to aim for the middle string, still mindful that I need to sound all three notes. It also helps me to remember that I don't want to break any bow-hairs -- or, at least, not any more than I absolutely have to. I find it best to keep the bow-hairs close to the strings so that I don't land too hard or from higher up than I really need to.

If your right hand is getting tense, then try playing the stops as broken chords, up and down, a few times. As long as you have left-hand mastery of these measures, this might help you relax your right hand more. I don't know you and can't say for sure that it would help you -- but it works for me.

November 9, 2017, 10:38 PM · Try using lots of bow speed, and keep it consistent.
Edited: November 9, 2017, 11:39 PM · 1. Play closer to the fingerboard, where the strings are closer together.

2. Play the chords starting at the frog, where the bow feels heavier and you don't have to work as hard to make a sound.

3. Flat hair on the strings for maximum bow hair to string surface area contact.

4. Try making your bow angle ever-so-slightly crooked (tip more towards you).

I'm not a fan of hitting it from the air...the articulation is too indistinct. I favor gently setting it on the string before moving.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music