Who knows a violinist called Ritza?

November 8, 2017, 7:05 AM · Hello!

I recently bought some old scores and manuscripts by a French composer called Paul Sabatier. One of the compositions - a "Danse hongroise, for violin and piano", published by Gallet & Fils around 1930 - was dedicated to "la celebre violoniste bohemienne Ritza" (=the famous Bohemian violinist Ritza), showing a photo of a female violinist.

Curiously the violinist wasn't famous enough to let me find any information on her now - absolutely nothing, if she had not existed. Do you have ever heard of a violinist called "Ritza", who must have been active around 1930 and at least in France?

Replies (3)

November 21, 2017, 4:11 AM · I got nowhere, tryging to chase this down for fun. I found your site :-) with the transcript of the piece and the picture of Ritza (thank you!).

Persumably a Polish or Polish-German name so possibly also appearing as Ritz (if it is her family name, but could be also her first name). And possibly a variant is Reitz. What happened to her family, who may know something, probably depends on whether she was Jewish.

And who was Sabatier? A violin composer active somewhere in France, presumably? He seems as little konwn as Ritza.

And where are the records for Sabatier's publisher, Gallet et Fils, who continued until 1958 according to Bibliothecque Nataionale database?

Edited: December 5, 2017, 6:54 AM · How about Hungarian violinist Suzanne Rosza who won the Fritz Kreisler prize aged 14 in the thirties ?
Edited: December 5, 2017, 7:40 PM · I wonder if, due to the timeline, we are considering the incorrect context of 'famous'. Perhaps an explanation of why this bohemian violinist is unknown now is that she was not a celebrated violinist, but rather just a first rate violinist.

While there are many many excellent violinists today, how many Julliard graduates will be remembered in 80 years? Even in the internet age?

You might have better luck getting an answer by pursuing the composer or publisher. You have more complete information about them (e.g a full time and a company) opposed to what may just be a nickname.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases