How is Hill & Sons peg lube different than grease pencil?

November 6, 2017, 11:20 PM · Just got some Hill & Sons peg lube. Works great - it strikes me that it's a lot like grease pencil. Is there a substantial difference?

Replies (10)

November 7, 2017, 2:54 AM · the ingredients!! designed for violin.....
Edited: November 7, 2017, 6:12 AM · It's been a long time since I used it, but is that the stuff that comes in an aluminium (sp. after all Hills is UK) tube? With peg compound you want something that has enough friction to keep the pegs from slipping, but yields easily to the force needed for tuning. Grease pencil - wants minimum friction at all force levels and, as Lyndon implied, you want nothing that might damage wood.

There was a time when people used chalk to keep pegs from slipping, but I've since heard recommendations against this practice because fine grit particles of the chalk can cause the peg holes to wear faster. I also used liquid peg dope when I was too lazy to remove strings to "grease" the pegs.

I've been using Pegheds for a decade - will never need peg dope again!

November 7, 2017, 8:13 AM · Peg dope is a combination of graphite powder, paraffin wax, china clay, and talc - where-as grease pencils are made from opaque wax. Wax is very smooth and will not have the grip ability as peg dope.
November 7, 2017, 8:15 AM · Peg compound includes rouge, which if used on its own, acts like chalk to get a better gripping, it is only one of the several ingredients in Hill compound. Gives it the reddish colour.
November 7, 2017, 8:41 AM · Hills uses graphite powder, petroleum jelly, china clay, talc, red iron oxide. The other one I listed was Hindersine's.
Edited: November 7, 2017, 9:57 AM · The price! I'm with Andrew ... all my instruments except for my daughter's 3/4 cello have gear pegs. I have found over time that PegHeds seem the best.
Edited: November 7, 2017, 10:46 AM · Jim, Red Iron Oxide is principle ingredient of rouge, everyone says Hill compound contains rouge. The actual formula is a closely guarded secret, so my guess is your ingredient list is a guess at best.
November 7, 2017, 11:06 AM · Presumably the Hills peg lube has thixotropic properties which wouldn't be necessary in a grease pencil, for example?
November 7, 2017, 11:11 AM · "How is Hill&Sons peg lube different than other peg compounds" could be a more accurate question.
Talking of formula it can easily be analysed in an atomic absorption.
I think the obvious difference (between different compounds) is in percentage of wax.
Hill lube makes pegs turn smoothly but also a little bit stable and sticky in their place.
On the other hand Pirastro's compound (if you use it too much) makes your pegs sound like doors opening in Horor movies.
On one of my violins D string's peg was a wooden gig. Every time i opened my case d string was almost out of string hole.my Luthier used pirastro peg compound and the problem has been solved. But usually every time i want to change my strings i use Hill.
November 7, 2017, 11:19 AM · thixotropic properties... really. Grease pencils doesn't need the holding power of grit or a 'switch' between the two properties. The pencils are intended more for smooth surfaces and writing. If they returned to a gell or liquid, shear thinning, the writing may very well drip. Not quite a quality one needs in a pencil.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music