What are some of your favorite Kreisler pieces?

November 4, 2017, 3:47 PM · Hi all,

Personally, I love playing music from Kreisler and find his pieces to be great for showcases, events, etc. But he has composed so many works for the violin! Each pieces offers something different in terms of musicality and technique. With this being said, what are some of your favorite Fritz Kreisler pieces?

Thanks.

Replies (11)

November 4, 2017, 4:20 PM · I love pretty much all of Kreisler's violin repertoire, but I especially enjoy the Caprice Viennois Op2, Recitativo and scherzo, praeludium and allegro, 3 Viennese Dances (Rachmaninoff piano transcription of Love's Sorrow is gorgeous) and tambourin chinios.

His works are so lyrical, and I think they all pertain some of his Viennese upbringing (how I interpret it)
Whenever I perform Kreisler, I always imagine the Viennese culture and the town (I am fortunate to have visited Vienna and gone to the homes of Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn and Schubert!), the beautiful architecture and what was happening during that time period of his life. (Maybe that's just me ahahaha)

Kaori

November 4, 2017, 4:50 PM · I love Tambourin Chinois!
November 4, 2017, 7:52 PM · Those sound interesting! I'll be sure to take a look at them.
November 4, 2017, 8:09 PM · Midnight Bells!
November 4, 2017, 9:10 PM · I've particularly loved Tambourin Chinois ever since watching Vengerov's masterclass video of it, which has wonderfully inventive imagery.
November 4, 2017, 10:43 PM · Praeludium and allegro and arrangements of Dvorak's Slavonic Dances.
November 4, 2017, 11:36 PM · Berceuse Romantique is underrated
November 4, 2017, 11:57 PM · I love Kreisler! He is one of my favourite violinists and his pieces are wonderful. Some of my favourits are Schön Rosmarin, Syncopaton, Liebesleid and Liebesfreud.
November 5, 2017, 12:41 AM · In a similar idiom (short salon pieces of a romantic Viennese character) you might also investigate Franz Drdla. I particularly love his Canzonetta and Ivresse ("Drunkeness"!). He's also fully out of copyright so dozens of his works can be freely downloaded from imslp.org
Edited: November 5, 2017, 7:24 AM · Hard to pick just a few, since there's really nothing of Kreisler's that I haven't liked so far. But three that come right to mind:

- Praeludium and Allegro
- Liebesleid (Love's Sorrow)
- Cadenza to first movement of Beethoven concerto

I've heard these pieces many times and played them myself. Liebesleid appeals more to the lyrical/melancholy side of me. A lot of players, IMO, take it too fast to bring this out. I find Praeludium more fun to play, e.g., for intricate passagework and aggressive chords. The cadenza, I find even more fun in this regard.

November 5, 2017, 7:53 AM · If you like Drdla then there is the Souvenir. Also there is a nice recording of the Wieniawski Obertass Mazurka -- James Ehnes, I believe. That piece is not really all that hard but it sounds impressive.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music