Musafia Lievissima

October 28, 2017, 2:15 PM · After consideration of your opinions at my last post on the Discussion about Musilia's cases, I am now thinking of buying a Musafia Lievissima, but again I havent find posts on this case, but very few words.

Does anybody has anything to share on that case, other than the excellent work and customer service of mr. Musafia which I know from first hand!

Lightweight is my priority and because I now live in Greece, and humidity is in high levels, and temperature is around 40 in summer, and freezing in Winter, as also my country Cyprus has similar dangerous enviroment for violins, so I wouldnt risk my violin in any case.

I was thinking of the Oblong Case without music sheet case, as I am moving constantly on foot, Buses, Subways and planes, so I would also need straps. Would you recommend me the padded straps?

Also would you recommend me other extras on that case that you believe will be useful as I believe this case will be my one for many years!

Please feel free to comment as your opinions help me to make wiser decisions!

Replies (7)

Edited: October 28, 2017, 2:32 PM · I would recommend the padded carrying straps. They're more comfortable, and they don't really add any more weight.

I have the A-440 tuner mounted in my Enigma, and I've found that it's stupidly useful to be able to just push the button and get a pretty loud A, without having to fumble to get out my phone and open a tuner app and whatnot.

I would suggest having a thermometer and hygrometer in the case. I have the Musafia dial ones because they look cool, but to save weight, I would suggest just getting one of David Burgess's digital hygrometers, which also has a digital temperature readout; it weighs basically nothing and you can toss it in an accessory pocket.

October 28, 2017, 2:50 PM · Hello Charis,
I haven't seen the Lievissima cases but I recently ordered an 'Athena' lightweight case (concept 6)for a local musician. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of work and she is delighted with it.
I own three Musafia double cases and use them to store, transport and display the violins I make. They have easily endured up to twenty years each of rough treatment, aircraft holds, spills, tumbles and general wear and tear. They are still rock solid and looking all the better for their travails! I think you could do a lot worse.
Best regards,
Martin
Edited: October 29, 2017, 2:24 AM · Thanks for your answers!
Do you believe it would be convenient when on move to also carry a small bag just for my parts, or should I sacrifice some 200g for a music sheet pocket?
October 29, 2017, 6:41 AM · I think that's more inconvenient and certainly weightier than an integrated pocket. But if you're already carrying a backpack or the like for other reasons when you commute, just put your music into that.
October 29, 2017, 7:38 AM · My Lievissima has the integrated pocket. It is convenient and practical. I was, forever arriving at lessons having left my music in the car or the office or at home and now it is always with my violin. You wont find a decent music bag weighing 200g.
October 29, 2017, 8:38 AM · My Lievissima has the integrated pocket. I carry the case around quite a bit, it doesn't bother me at all. It also holds a lot more sheet music than my former GEWA case. I've been known to slip my iPad mini and/or iPhone in it too. Trying to think of something I don't like about the case ... Nope, nothing comes up.
October 29, 2017, 11:13 PM · I personally would always get the integrated pocket as I dont like to be forced to carry an additional bag. Those 200g should not be too prominent.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music