Le Victorieux violins from collin mezin. what's so horrific about them?

October 28, 2017, 12:41 PM · So I'm a adult beginner violinist I've been playing on a 1000 dollar(rental) student violin. It's sound was eerily sharp pitched and the higher position sounded 'dusty'. So I went back to my luthier, to ask for a more high quality rental. And I was presented 10 violins between the prices of 2 to 3000. I was looking for a violin with a rich and full/warm tone and I found one! The sound also sounded like it actually got 'out of the violin' the other ones sounded like the sound was trapped inside the violin. The high positions sound lovely. Until I started googling. My new violin has a label inside saying 'Le Victorieux grande soliste, collin mezin 1925. It's worth 3500. So I started googling on this type of violin according to maestronet they are' horrendous and disgusting sounding'and should only be used for firewood. Which made me raise my eyebrow as I thought this violin was far superior to the other ones I tried while there. So what is everyone else hearing that I'm not?
Anyone can tell me more?

Replies (11)

Edited: October 28, 2017, 8:42 PM · I think they are decent Mirecourt production violins, what bothers people is they don't quite live up to the very high standard of the late 1800s Collin Mezin models, certainly not junk though.
Edited: October 29, 2017, 2:52 AM · Thank you very much Lyndon Taylor. :) the reactions I read seemed a bit over the top to me to these violins. Especially since I think they sound wonderful! But yeah I guess comparing them to the previous very high standard ones like you said, then many people may feel that way about these :)
Edited: October 29, 2017, 4:40 AM · Phoebe wrote, 'the other ones sounded like the sound was trapped inside the violin.'

I'm only a beginner in playing violins but if I could imagine the sound correctly, as far as I know only cheap beginner violins would sound like this (around $100 for an outfit), the sound is kind of 'nasal', trapped inside the violin. Like when you are trying to both block your nose and speak at the same time.

Either the shop owner made a mistake, or that he was trying to rent to you a beginner violin at a heftier price tag. I hope the latter wasn't the true.

October 29, 2017, 11:09 AM · I'm not sure. But the one I have now was the only one who's sound wasn't trapped inside the violin. All the violins were around 3000 euros
October 29, 2017, 1:06 PM · To you, what is a sound which doesn't sound like it was "trapped inside the violin"?

Is it a dark, boomy sound which comes forth with little effort, or what?

Thought it might be worth asking. Do you have an accomplished violinist partner to help you through these hurdles?

October 29, 2017, 1:30 PM · I have had a teacher for as long as I started my journey :)
What I mean is literally what I said. The other violins sounded muted and like the sound came only from one place, the one I have now sounds like it filled the room and didn't stay inside the violin it actually came out.
Edited: October 29, 2017, 3:31 PM · I think it's near impossible to know whether we are talking about the same thing by words.
I post a video here to demonstrate what I think is a nasal sound trapped inside the violin:

This 'nasal' quality is the most obvious feature of a totally beginner violin (under $400). Outfits above $1000 should never sound like that.

In my opinion the main culprit for that sound is the violin, not his technique or the camcorder.

October 29, 2017, 3:38 PM · "the reactions I read seemed a bit over the top to me to these violins."

Please be advised that "over the top" is the starting point for discussion in some crowds, where violins are concerned.

Edited: October 29, 2017, 8:55 PM · I have one that I like very much. It's dated 1950, a late one, and was made by the youngest son, Charley.

It's very even and responsive and seems to project very well. I acquired it at Tarisio and preferred it over violins that wound up selling at that auction for many, many thousands more.

Edited: October 30, 2017, 4:29 AM · I've never had a Collin Mezin violin, but I had the opportunity to buy a 1950 La Victorieux for $660 on ebay, but before I could get the money together, someone else grabbed it, but in my research I saw a 1948 selling for over $5,000 at a top retail shop, so $3500 for a 1925 seems pretty cheap.(I'm assuming the 1925 is worth a bit more than the 1950)
October 30, 2017, 4:31 AM · I played a Collin Mezin violin at Kapeller's in Richmond. That's the first time I had heard of them. I thought it was a pretty good violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music