Rosin and Bow matching?

October 26, 2017, 10:40 PM · Sorry if the question is dumb. I have read many threads about different results when combining a particular rosin to a particular brand of strings. I would like to ask if in the same spirit is there any variability in the rosin and bow matching, such as that given a particular set of violin, strings and some bows, one would get different preferences of rosin in different bows.
If that is the case, is it a regular practice to dedicate a particular rosin to a particular bow? or once found the best rosin for the strings it is the one used for all bows?

Replies (9)

October 27, 2017, 4:29 AM · Rosin thread! Oh boy!! I've certainly heard of people using different rosin for violin vs. viola (although I use the same -- Bernardel), but not different violin bows. But like everything in the violin world, I'm sure there are those who do this.
October 27, 2017, 6:03 AM · If there is considerable difference in horse hair, seems it only right to find the best rosin for type used. Bow hair comes from all kinds of sources; from cold vs warm climates, male vs female hair, synthetic vs real, mane vs tail, white vs color, bleached vs natural. Violinists and luthiers can get exceptionally picky about the hair quality, seems to reason getting picky about how the particular type of hair reacts to the rosin on it will eventually come into play. If you're splitting hairs...
Edited: October 27, 2017, 4:29 PM · imho, more to do with strings. I tend to pick bows that go with an instrument, each time I change types of strings, then match the rosin, repeat.
Edited: October 27, 2017, 5:30 PM · I have found that which rosin I choose to use does make a difference, as do the strings I use and the bow I use. But I have not found a need to match bow hair and rosin. I have also found a link between rosin choice and weather (temperature for sure/humidity perhaps). I suspect the state of my hearing also influences my preference for one rosin compared to another.

Since the OP is currently living in a tropical climate, it would not be strange if the bow hair were more "expanded" at times and might behave to rosin (and vise versa) in ways I have not experienced. Under high humidity the hair will expand significantly and the hair roughness that attaches the rosin will change.

October 27, 2017, 7:25 PM · They ought to match in colour.
October 27, 2017, 7:42 PM · I have found it useful to use different rosins in different seasons (I’m in Canada).....but above that I haven’t given it that much more thought!
October 27, 2017, 9:56 PM · @Andrew: You have guessed my problem. The issue I am having is that when I start daily practice the room is at about 80% humidity. I switch on the air conditioning and in about a couple of hours the humidity has gone down quite significantly and I am noticing that in the "grip" of the rosin I use. It starts great with high humidity but as the humidity goes down (more significantly than temperature) another bow, a worse one that uses a cheaper rosin, becomes better than the more expensive with the better rosin and I have to switch. That led me to wonder if others had similar circumstances such as preferring a certain rosin for light bows with low voice but a different one for others and to adapt them to how tired you are or something like that. From what I am reading it does not seem to be a regular practice so I will look for a less sensitive or more balanced rosin to use.
Edited: October 28, 2017, 10:08 AM · I also switch by season. Currently, Millant Dark and Jade for vln/vla, Guillaume & Jade for cello, Carllson & Nyman for bass. I was an Andrea guy when I played on Pirastros on vln/vla before switching to Kaplans. I use the same on my pernambuco and carbon bows for all instruments. I often use carbon in larger ensembles and when I’m switching back and forth to ease transitions in doubling, but prefer wood for most other playing.
October 28, 2017, 3:40 PM · I find my “happy medium” rosin during the fall when the humidity really starts to go down is Pirastro Oliv:Evah (I use Passione strings typically with obligato E through out the year) and everything seems to wake up after the season change when using this regardless of what bow I use.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music