Can one be allergic to one kind of rosin?

October 25, 2017, 6:43 PM · On my earlier post, I was discussing about melting and mixing rosins. Well, I did just that. It was a success! After using it for a while now, I had gotten some rosin powder into my eye after it snagged on my fine tuner (quite normal for me), and uh clearly it was uncomfortable. I rinsed it out and was fine. That was with mixed rosin. Then I accidentally did that again today, in which it was pure black rosin. I did exactly the same thing and rinsed my eye, but a couple minutes later my eye was sort of red. Nothing serious but I was wondering if one could be allergic to some kind of rosin.

Replies (11)

October 25, 2017, 7:40 PM · Some people have various reactions to rosin and rosin dust.

Different brands use different formulas with different additives. You might be allergic to an additive in the 'pure black' rosin that is not part of the rosins you mixed (or was evaporated/destroyed in the melting process)

October 25, 2017, 8:17 PM · Getting rosin in your eyes is "normal for you"? That sounds very strange. It's quite possible that different amounts of rosin got into your eye on the two different occasions, or into different parts of your eye, or that you rubbed your eye differently. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about differential allergy.
Edited: October 25, 2017, 8:21 PM · Probably no more than irritation from the rosin. If you were allergic to it you would have some weird effects like a good amount of swelling and possibly hives. Be nice to your eyes, you only have two. If there should be a next time, rinse your eyes with luke-warm water and let them tear up as much as they like. Don't rub them.
October 25, 2017, 8:23 PM · Your eye getting red after having gotten rosin in it is perfectly normal. Your eye has reacted just as if you got a hair or a bit of dust or dirt in it. One can be allergic to rosin. Customers have related sneezing, wheezing, contact dermatitis on the hands, ect.
Of course, inhaling particles of something (dust-rosin or otherwise) might elicit a response like Reactive Airway, and the symptoms should resolve after the irritant is removed.

If your eye continues to be red and itchy you should probably consult a Physician or Opthalmologist. You may have scratched the surface of your eye and may need further help.

Consider trying the Clarity "rosin". Not rosin, but it is hypoallergenic.

If you are playing in a cloud of dust, allergic or not, you will sneeze and possibly have red eyes. Washing you hands is helpful, but consider that rosin is not soluble in water and it might take a bit of cleansing to get the rosin off, so avoid rubbing your eyes.

October 25, 2017, 8:42 PM · On re-reading your post, I echo Paul in wondering how you're getting Rosin in your eye on a regular basis.

How is your rosin snagging on your fine tuner? I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where I would get rosin in my eye during regular playing, let alone consistently enough for this to be a run of the mill occurrence.

October 26, 2017, 1:38 AM · Last year I was practicing very long notes. Looking at where the bow met the string was a bad idea. I got dust in my eye and couldn't look at anything for 2 days! I look away now.
October 26, 2017, 5:27 AM · The only* rosin that ever bother me (itchy eyes) was Pirastro Goldflex. Would that qualify as being allergic to one type of rosin? I could get away with using it on cello - but not on chin instruments.

* I have used dozens of other kinds of rosin over the decades.

Edited: October 26, 2017, 7:45 AM · Rosin can cause allergies without direct contact such as sneezing, itching, and red eyes. However, getting rosin directly in they eye would be irritating to anyone, sans allergy. I wouldn't consider it a definite allergy since you had direct eye contact, just an irritation.
October 26, 2017, 9:56 AM · You could poke your eyes and it would be red but it would probably mean your eyes have gone through a physical distress rather than them being allergic to fingers.

I’m also curious to know how you regularly get rosin in your eyes. Is your tailpiece abnormally high?

October 28, 2017, 4:23 PM · @ everyone who asks me why I get rosin a lot, is because I'm an intern that helps little kids play, and they often times overosin (I don't think that's a word) and powder comes flying around like smoke on a rather daily basis. . That's where I get most rosin into my eyes, but ususally in my own practice, it happens only once in a while.
October 31, 2017, 9:24 PM · Yes, different types of rosin certainly trigger reactions (allergic or otherwise) to different degrees. Like Clarity synthetic, Magic Rosin is also far less triggering than some/most others, and it's stickier than Clarity. Get the kids to use Magic (and use less) if it's bothering you and you can -- they also come with cute pictures. Some brands are also dustier than others -- I remember Melos dark bothering me so much that I couldn't use it, but don't find Bernardel to be irritating.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music