Play 4 concertos in 2 nights

October 24, 2017, 11:54 PM · My friend is going to performing with national orchestra. He will play 4 German violin concerto (Mendelssohn, Brahms, Bruch, Beethoven) in 2 nights nonstop. These concertos have difference character. How do you think of playing 4 concertos like this? Have any violinist play like this before?

Replies (15)

October 25, 2017, 1:08 AM · Maybe he is lucky not to have jet-lag between each concerto!
October 25, 2017, 7:55 AM · About 30 years ago the father of one of my friends was the soloist on a concert tour with the Danish orchestra where he was normally concert master. They played two programs on the tour, one was with Mendelssohn and the other I think was Brahms.
One night after the ouverture he had entered the stage for the violin concerto, the conductor looked at him and he nodded back to indicate he was ready. The conductor looked again and he gave another reassuring nod back. The conductor looked bewildered but finally started the orchestra anyway. And he had one and a half bar to get his violin up and reset his mind from Brahms to Mendelssohn!
October 25, 2017, 8:09 AM · That's a great story. It reminds me of another one I heard about a pianist who was to perform a Mozart concerto with orchestra. Only after the orchestra started did she realize they were playing a different one than she expected. Fortunately, she knew them both and adapted.
October 25, 2017, 8:46 AM · Well, I was told about the pianist who started with the Grieg. The orchestra continued with the Schumann. Fortunately the pianist knew the Schumann (This can't always be guaranteed. I remember being in the Edinburgh Rehearsal Orchestra when we accompanied Alex Kelly in the Schumann. He'd only started studying it four days previously. Admittedly it was quite early in his career, but I had already heard him give a professional performance with orchestra).
October 25, 2017, 9:06 AM · Andrew, that was Maria Joao Pires

October 25, 2017, 1:16 PM · Did she not have any rehearsal with the orchestra before the concert?
Edited: October 25, 2017, 1:52 PM · Maybe redundant question here ... Does your friend play as the soloist / Violin I / Violin II or other orchestra member?

If she/he would solo in all 4 concertos 2 nights non-stop, I would consider this as an amazing feat (not only in terms of virtuoso, memory, and endurance, but also in terms of being in great demand), and I would love to know his or her name.

October 25, 2017, 1:49 PM · Bo, if I remember correctly, the "wrong concerto" video was at an informal lunchtime concert that was performed without rehearsal.
October 25, 2017, 2:15 PM · This coming Saturday we are performing Mozart's Piano Concerto Nr 21 (the anachronistically named "Elvira Madigan") with our regular conductor standing in at short notice for an indisposed soloist. We - the orchestra - will decide on the night whether or not we start off with Concerto Nr 20 ;)
October 25, 2017, 3:53 PM · Trevor, I think that's an opportunity you can't let go to waste, at least for a few lines, and then stop and have a good laugh=)
October 25, 2017, 4:32 PM · My friend play as soloist. You can see the program here
http://ticketvn.com/en/Special-Concert---4-Great-Violin-Concertos-by-Bui-Cong-Duy-c7a57.html
October 25, 2017, 6:37 PM · Bruh that's a lot, considering that I'm looking at Bruch and Mendelssohn myself right now
October 25, 2017, 8:42 PM · I heard Oistrakh used to played 4 concertos in 2 nights like this but can't find any information about this
October 26, 2017, 1:32 AM · There's the story of a young concert pianist, just out of college and at the start of her career, playing the Grieg for the first time in public. At the drum roll at the beginning she got off her piano stool to stand to attention - presumably an automatic response to the start of the British National Anthem!
October 26, 2017, 4:41 AM · @Viet Nguyen Oh I know this guy. He is not well-known internationally but a number 1 in his country Vietnam.

I watched some passages of his Mendelssohn concerto on YouTube. Occasionally he got a note out of tune, and overall it was a lesser performance than those of Hilary or Janine. However, I understand that he plays with a less capable violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music