Carbon fibre violin bows

October 22, 2017, 9:05 PM · Can anyone rate the quality of Cademza violin bows? A few good violinists have told me that they are a good quality and good playability.
Thanks
Terry

Replies (8)

October 22, 2017, 9:40 PM · I like my 3 Star. I've used it almost exclusively since I purchased it about a month ago.

I would recommend it for anyone with a sub-1K bow budget.

October 22, 2017, 10:15 PM · Are you looking for a new bow. If so, I'd try a variety of affordable bows and pick your fave. You can also search this site for similar threads.
October 24, 2017, 8:57 AM · I have four Cadenza 3-star ("Master") bows. Three are identical violin bows -- one for my daughter, one for me, and one for a spare while we're getting rehairs. The fourth bow is the viola bow. I love this bow. An excellent pro that I know recommends them to his students. He told me that I'd have to spend at least $2000 to get a pernambuco bow that would perform as well.
October 24, 2017, 10:07 AM · I own a Arcus S8, a Arcus Sinfonia and 3 different wooden bows worth to mention (100yo, 30yo and 4 yo).
I would not say the CFare better in value, but they can compete. If, however, I had to choose all three wooden bows wood come before the S8 (Sinfonia clearly last).
The cheapest wooden bow is at 2800€ and therefore sigbnificantly cheaper than the s8.
The s8 is my main orchestra bow. It is really light so not tirering and also sturdy to mechanical damage.
Edited: October 24, 2017, 10:36 AM · I don't know this for sure, but the OP is probably asking about a "Cadenza" brand of CF bows that range from about $110 to $425 (depending on finish and ????) and the lowest price ones are most likely of the generic sort such as the SHAR "PRESTO," etc. The one of that type I had years ago was OK for the list price, but I bought mine from a 1/2-price sale. Such bows have nothing in common with the ARCUS "Sinfonia, Concerto, Cadenza." lines and even less with newer ARCUS "S_" versions.

My experience with composite bows in that price range (such as turn of the century Glasser" and with slightly later CF bows) was that they handle well enough for beginner-to-intermediate players to learn to bow and get reasonable sound from their violins, but they may not have the properties that can pull the best tone from more advanced instruments. In other words, they should not impede learning progress.

October 24, 2017, 12:18 PM · I did fall for the Arcus Cadenza beeing named so similar. I used to own a Cadenza gold.
Edited: November 2, 2017, 2:53 PM · The bows that I referred to are Eastman Cadenzas. I don't know whether the 304 is much better than the 302 for about $75.00 more.
November 2, 2017, 3:32 PM · Note that the ads claim it has a veneer of pernambuco wood. This might be more fragile than the uncovered CF - you should inquire.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music