Romanian violins

Edited: October 22, 2017, 11:00 AM · Hi all.
I have a romanian half hand made violin. I bought it for 600 dollar. My violin teacher and luthier said its a very good violin as an intermediate player and has a warm sound. Does all romanian violins warm? What are your experiences with romanian violins or violins like them.

Replies (6)

October 22, 2017, 12:17 PM · Every violin is different, and there's likely to be lots of variation in craftsmanship. I'd say, for instance, that Gliga (Romanian) violins fall under the mentioned category.
October 22, 2017, 1:22 PM · thank for your repliy. I also realised that my violin is heavier than some other violins. How can you describe this difference on the sound?
October 22, 2017, 2:47 PM · I don't know if weight really affects sound. Maybe it does.
October 22, 2017, 3:17 PM · Heavier violins tend to be less resonant, because the wood is too thick.
October 22, 2017, 7:16 PM · I have a Romanian violin purchased from my.local Luthier. It is heavier than my.previous violin but not by much. I think it has a nice warm sound.
October 24, 2017, 1:08 PM · I don't think there is specifically a Rumanian "school" of violin making as opposed to say, Cremona, Mittenwald, French (Mirecourt); therefore, no specific "sound" can be ascribed to Rumanian violins. That being said, I have encountered a number of Rumanian violins that have thicker tops, thicker bridges, etc., all of which lead to less vibration and a darker (more muffled) sound. These tend to be on the lower end (student instruments). I have also encountered excellent Rumanian violins that are warm, open, brilliant, loud, sweet, you name it. These instruments are each taken as individuals.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music