second violin search - Glasser Carbon - anyone played one?

October 21, 2017, 2:47 PM · I’m looking at the Glasser Carbon violin in my continuing search for a second violin to play in outdoor, pit, and sweltering environments where I would prefer not to take my good 122 yr-old.
I’ve played/heard L&C and Mezzo and really don’t think that they are worth the $$ for a rank amateur like myself.
Anyone played one of these cheap, heavy, plastic Glasser things and found them acceptable for section playing? Note- I’m an aging amateur hack who’ll play pretty much anywhere whith several local classical ensembles, shows, and informal chamber play-ins. I very rarely play 1st solo- I also double on viola and am considering the five-string.
I already have an electric, so am not really looking for the pickup feature.

Replies (5)

Edited: October 21, 2017, 5:29 PM · I have no knowledge of carbon fiber violins. But there are tons of review articles on the web, and I came across this one:

http://blog.feinviolins.com/2017/05/glasser-carbon-composite-violin-review.html

The website did a nice pros-and-cons summary of this violin. Among the pros, looks and being durable, bomb-proof, not affected by temperature and humidity etc. Pretty much what we would expect from something of composite material.

Among the cons, slow response, small volume, and heavy weight. If we are to believe these drawbacks are real, it's obviously student-level.

October 22, 2017, 12:32 AM · Haevy weight in violins would be a no go for me.
I tried to practise with an electric violin some time ago but the additional weight made me feel so uncomfortble I dont use it anymore.
Unfortuanlly I dont know this specific violin.
Edited: October 22, 2017, 12:31 PM · I have a glasser carbon composite violin and I agree with the review above. I think I might generally like the tone better than the reviewer does in fact, but I recognize some of that is a matter of taste so I will stick with more objective descriptors. It does not have the complexity of wood, so it is a different sound. But it sounds clear and belllike, it has good response and is consistent no matter the condition, good projection, and it looks cool (not plastic). I haven't found the weight to be a problem and I'm a fairly small person. My every day violin is quite petite with a short scale and the Glasser is standard so I have to adjust, but for most that is not an issue. If you play outdoors, or in weird climates, or travel a lot, this is an excellent affordable choice.

Edit: I should note I tried two much more expensive C.F. violins and found the Glasser to be comparable and the tone and response across all strings to be better than the few `traditional` new violins in the 1000-1500 range I was testing out as potential travel violin options.

October 22, 2017, 12:34 PM · Thanks Elis. It seems pretty decent in the Youtube reviews, especially for the price as I feel that the Mezzo and L & C are both compromises anyway.

I assume that the sound post is adjustable. Can you tell if it is wood or something else?

October 22, 2017, 2:31 PM · Yes, it is adjustable, the bridge and soundpost are wood. Body and neck are carbon fiber. And it comes fitted with geared pegs which I wasnt sure about at first, but I now really appreciate.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music