Michael Vann violin bow?

October 21, 2017, 10:04 AM · Anyone have any experience with Michael Vann violin bow? Was thinking between Vann, Gilles Nehr, Benoit Rolland and Pierre Guillaume.

I know so many threads regarding bow makers. Please stick to these names as these are the makers I have shortlisted. So far Vann has been most responsive but I am still deciding between these makers.

Looking to commission a bow from either one of them. To keep the discussion focused, how would you rate Vann against the other makers mentioned above? Equal standing?

Replies (10)

October 21, 2017, 10:06 AM · Are you happy with your current bows? If not, try a variety of affordable bows andick your fave.
October 21, 2017, 10:41 AM · I almost bought a Vann last April. I was looking for a good daily use bow which did everything pretty well, even if it wasn't a class leader in any one area. It fit the bill but I didn't find the work very elegant. What gave it the edge over the other bows was its superior tone, one of the best sounding bows I've ever tried for my fiddle. Unfortunately, it broke just before I paid for it. The dealer said Vann would make another for me to try (he wouldn't repair it for less money, wanted the same price for a repaired bow!) but I haven't heard from either of them. Oh well.

Have you had any luck getting Gilles Nehr to reply? I've emailed him about 3 times over the last 10 years or so and he's never returned emails.

October 21, 2017, 10:52 AM · Jeewon , did it break due to an accident or an inherent fault?
Edited: October 21, 2017, 1:40 PM · Broke at the head along the grain just below the shaft under normal playing conditions. Fairly common I think, but I've never seen it happen in a new bow.

I think it's an inherent weakness in the design of the bow, however pretty it looks to us now, which is why I'm interested in Nehr's TĂȘte-BĂȘche design.

October 21, 2017, 5:23 PM · This Nehr Tete-Beche is interesting but initially seems odd looking to me. Maybe after a few more viewings or a few beers...
October 21, 2017, 5:46 PM · I like function with my form :)
I could grow to love it, especially with the self rehair feature!
October 23, 2017, 1:10 AM · I'm also interested in the tete beche bows, waiting for a reply from Gilles.
So many choices for a contemporary bow, not sure which one I should get since I am so far away and have to buy based on reputation.

So based on Jeewon's comment you wouldn't recommend Vann? I'm still open to suggestions. What about Nehr and Guillaume? Or leCanu and Bigot for that matter?

October 23, 2017, 3:50 AM · Jeffrey H, you're digressing away from the list of names you asked us not to digress away from :)
October 23, 2017, 5:14 AM · I would've been very happy playing on the Vann as my daily bow, just not as happy looking at it;) It was very well balanced, felt very strong yet was compliant, felt pretty stable and did all the tricks it needed to (though it wasn't the most incisive bow, like my Dodd) and, the reason I chose it over several other bows I was trialing over that period, it was a great tonal match with my fiddle. But alas...
October 23, 2017, 9:08 AM · Thanks for your clarification Jeewon.

Sorry Tammuz!!! Got carried away!!! Haha

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music