Funny things that happen while practicing

Edited: October 20, 2017, 2:55 PM · I wanted to start this discussion to learn (and laugh) about the most weird/funny things that have happened to you while you were practicing.

I'll be the first in line: I was practicing today and the phone rung. I talked for 5 minutes or so, and then hung up. Then, I started to look around in order to find my bow.

Where it could be?

I looked at the the music stand, it was not there, obviously. The case was closed, and I swear I didn't open the case while I was talking, what for?

I looked at the floor, but I never put my bow on the floor. It was not below the chair, not behind neither. I was forced against my will to open the damned case, why so much trouble? God...

Nothing, as I expected, it was not there. Almost 2 minutes after intense seeking, I found it:

That was me (well, not literally, I'm not the guy in the picture), holding the violin and bow just like the picture describes. It was in MY HAND!

God forgive me for being offensively dumb...

Replies (15)

Edited: October 20, 2017, 4:43 PM · Tim,

You can consider yourself lucky in that you did not put your bow in the refrigerator. Had it happened... :)

October 20, 2017, 4:48 PM · LOL, but I wouldn't put it past me. Just yesterday, my teacher kept getting her bow stuck in her hair. She said, "try it again", referring to the measure we were practicing. My reply, "Without the hair?" (note: my hair is longer than my teachers). I'm glad the both of us have a sense of humor.
October 20, 2017, 5:36 PM · At times I sit while practicing.

We have a cat that loves to sit on my lap.

I have gotten used to him sitting on my lap as I practice.

What I haven’t gotten used to is when he doesn’t quite make it and digs his claws in to pull himself up.

OUCH (but I still love him)..

Edited: October 21, 2017, 2:29 PM · My Abyssinian cat once jumped on my shoulder while I was practicing.

The other day the baby birds in our chimney was mimicking a passage of Mendelssohn VC I was practicing, note perfect.

Birds outside the windows would often compete with my practice. The faster I played the louder they get.

My visiting v.com during mini-breaks between practice usually turns out to be loooong breaks. This is actually not funny.

October 20, 2017, 7:05 PM · You know your good when you can keep up with the birds. Actually that would be cool having the birds sing along. Well, maybe for the first three times anyway.

I hope your cat is declawed. My mom's cat had a tendency to claw in until she got balanced.

October 20, 2017, 7:28 PM · Not during a practice, but in a concert, I was playing the solo for Vivaldi Winter when a storm moved in, we a had a lightning strike at just the right moment, taking out the lights for a while.
October 20, 2017, 8:31 PM · Jim, I would never declaw a cat. That's like cutting off their fingers! My cat is very gentle with her paws. I've never been scratched by her for all these years. She is an Abyssinian, after all.
October 20, 2017, 8:57 PM · I once had one of my dogs lift his leg and pee on my tuner back when I was a beginner.
October 21, 2017, 12:20 AM · When I was growing up our cat had kittens and they used to try to catch the tip of my bow when I was practicing.

Now I have a siberian husky. When she was a puppy she tried to sing with me when I played on the g-string.

October 21, 2017, 4:50 AM · Ten years ago my metronome woukd start beating in the middle of the night. The first time this happpened I was terrified because to awaken from a deep sleep realising that this needs a push to start it working... After being wakened numerous times in the next couple of weeks I started locking the pendulum in the storage position and it has never started again by itself. But then a few days later the glass carafe from my coffee maker lay shattered in the middle of the kitchen floor and that was the end of my supernatural experiences.
October 21, 2017, 4:53 AM · My daughter was practicing her cello one day, and the exact tempo that she was playing the passage matched the steady chirp of a chipmunk outside her window.
November 17, 2017, 2:35 PM · I wasn’t actually practicing, but just this week I started a discussion about wich strings would be best for me. The next day I broke my E string, and now hopefully I will be getting a set of tonicas today.
November 17, 2017, 2:52 PM · More cute than funny, but my cat sleeps in my case when I practise. She's really small so she fits in there perfectly.
November 17, 2017, 3:22 PM · When I was really young (4/5), my parents made me practice for 20 minutes a day, and I would always set the timer for 21 minutes, because when you pressed start, it would go to 20:59. I suppose that that extra minute everyday really added up.
November 17, 2017, 10:22 PM · Why do almost all of the stories involve pets?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music