MUSILIA P1 VIOLIN CASE

October 20, 2017, 9:08 AM · I am now in search of a lightweight case for my violin, as I am walking all day, and my back hurts strolling with a Gewa Maestro case.

I can find reviews for most CF cases, but i cant find many for this specific model by Musilia, which seems to be an interesting case!

Does anybody has any experience with this model?

Replies (36)

October 20, 2017, 11:32 AM · Take a look at Musafia Lievissima and the Unoeotto by Riboni.
Musilia is, afaik, a Chinese fabricant whose name is not by accident quite close to Musafia, one of the wellknown case makers, I guess.
October 20, 2017, 2:07 PM · Musafia Lievissima cases are excellent, imho!
Edited: October 23, 2017, 6:56 PM · "Musilia Violin Cases are German engineered, super lightweight, and extremely well-made"

... from their website.

In my experience, communications with the company have been with Germany, and a replacement neck-lace was dispatched (without charge) from Germany when we had a minor issue. My daughter owns a P1. It is very minimalist when you are used to plush lined cases, but it does provide excellent protection and it is very light. We have had a few drops and clunks which have raised some blood pressure but her violin has stayed snug and safe inside. Comes with straps and a blanket. Because this kind of construction does not provide much protection from rapidly changing temperatures she uses a canvas cover in winter and does not spend much time outside during transport sessions. She is fortunate not to have to use public transit in this respect (rural).

I use a Musafia Lievissima (rectangular for my own instrument. I like it very much. It has a much more traditional feel than the P1, and offers more thermal protection from its more traditional construction. I really like the double handle design that gives a third layer of protection for latch failure because you have the central latch, the zippers on the canvas cover and then the handles all holding the case closed in the event of idiocy. Blanket and straps are extra.

I prefer my Lievissima, my daughter prefers her P1. I thiuk you will be happy with either, but if I had to schlep my instrument across the city on boiling or freezing public transit I would definitely lean towards the Musafia rather than the Musilia

October 20, 2017, 9:47 PM · Any case with adequate padding, sturdy construction and protection from rattling in a vehicle should do.
October 21, 2017, 5:02 AM · Ella Yu, there are only few cases on the market I would trust to transport my violin regulary.
If its a cheap starter set ok, but over the years I had a few situations where a good case saved my violin and I saw enough damaged violins in my life.
Edited: October 21, 2017, 5:16 AM · Since my company has received orders and inquiries about Musilia cases, I must publicly state that my company Musafia Italia has nothing to do with Musilia, despite its name seeming a contraction (MUSafiaItaLIA).

From my understanding, while the commercial office of Musilia is indeed in Germany, the factory is in China and the "German engineering" is provided by a German named Chu.

For public record, Musafia Italia does not endorse nor have any relation with this company.

October 21, 2017, 5:53 AM · Dimitri, you made my day!
October 21, 2017, 6:48 AM · Thats my knowledge too. They are officially in Germany but are nevertheless a Chinese company (which does not have to be bad).
October 21, 2017, 7:36 AM · Chuberg?
October 21, 2017, 9:38 AM · Yeah, well, that's what I have to deal with these days... :-)
October 21, 2017, 10:12 AM · I understand bad cases can damage violins, and I hate cases with little padding. Some cases don't have a velcro thing that goes around the neck, and as a result, the violin could rattle in it. I once had to transport a violin in a terrible case in a car, and the pegs went loose because the violin rattled in it. I have since avoided using that case. I have also run into a case that could fall open really easily without the aid of an elastic band and have since avoided using it, too. I'm very happy with my current, likely inexpensive cases, which aren't the two mentioned above.
Edited: October 21, 2017, 11:42 AM · I'd think that Musafia Italia is a registered trademark and can force Musilia to change the name, especially since Musilia seems to be runing business from within Europe...
October 21, 2017, 11:00 AM · I just want to note that a last name, in today's international world, doesn't really indicate very much about an individual's actual nationality. Chu might be German-educated, even born / raised in Germany, in which case I would consider his "German engineering" to be no different than a German engineer named Schmidt.
Edited: October 21, 2017, 2:56 PM · I strongly agree on this one Lydia, no one should judge a nationality by a persons name in our days. I also think noone should ever judge a person by its nationality!

Ella, I am not into putting useless money in cases but I personally have not found a case yet to convince me significantly cheaper than those I mentioned above.
Not every structural problem is visible directly.
If I one day find that case for $50 I am super happy to buy it.

Edited: October 21, 2017, 3:39 PM · Yeah, okay. I get it. Everyone has different expectations anyway.
Edited: October 22, 2017, 3:17 AM · Lydia and Marc, this time you're wrong, sorry - I know Peter Chu personally, and he's no more German than you nor I.

When I asked him why he named his cases "Musilia" he replied, "well, you know Mus, as in Muse, music..." "and the rest?" I asked. "Um, well, ummmm...".

I'm not judging a person based on his nationality, but I am judging him on the basis of his copying my company name. He once spent a half-hour bragging to me about his new Maserati, bought at least in part with money earned though his copying my name... for Heaven's sake!!

I have respect for those who make a good product - not for those who try to make more money (off YOU) by trying to take advantage of the hard-earned reputations of others.

That extends to A. Cavallo Violins and their "Musacia" cases, as well as the "Liboni" cases seen at the Shanghai Music Fair.

October 22, 2017, 3:17 AM · Dimitri, the first answer given to the question was the following by me:
"Musilia is, afaik, a Chinese fabricant whose name is not by accident quite close to Musafia, one of the wellknown case makers, I guess."

So you see I never ment they are German but I still strongly agree that one should not judge by name only. The post by Lydia was more on a generalization, while this specific example of course is not very German.
Btw, to your quote:
"Lydia and Marc, this time you're wrong, sorry - I know Peter Chu personally, and he's no more German than you nor I."
I am as German as it gets. Born amd raised in Germany as were my ancesters.
(Please dont understand this in a nationalistic way. I always took a fight against nationalism and I am very sad about what happened at the last elections!! In fact I have been politically active against NPD, AFD ( of course just since they exist) and so on since my youth.)

Edited: October 22, 2017, 3:22 AM · Marc, that's fine and I respect it, as I respect you. But "German engineering" to me, at least, means something else...

Reason for which I have two Mercedes in the garage, and no Musilias :-)

October 22, 2017, 3:23 AM · Agree, I dont consider this German engeneering either, if such thing even exists.
October 22, 2017, 5:27 AM · After I paid my mortgage off about twelve years ago I bought a Musafia Master case and although it seemed expensive at the time, when I consider how long I have had it is not that much of an expense at all. This case is so durable it still looks brand new after all of these years. When I go to music jams most people are impressed and comment on its beauty and elegance. When I go out in the rain or sub zero temp I think this case protects my instrument and bows better than any other case out there.
October 22, 2017, 8:18 AM · I wonder if Dimitri has consulted with a trademark attorney about "Musilia". That's depressing. I mean, whose Maserati should that be?
Edited: October 22, 2017, 9:07 AM · Paul, the long and the short of it is that the attorney, at $400/hr, would get the Quattroporte. Of course "Musafia" is trademarked but "Musilia" isn't "Musafia" - it's very close, and suspiciously so, but it's not the same. We'd need a sympathetic judge who really likes things Italian :-)

But a few years back through trade dress litigation we were able to nail a copy-cat manufacturer who claimed to be making a case exactly the same as one of our models but at a fraction of the price.

No Maserati that time either, but I threw a helluva party :-)

October 22, 2017, 9:12 AM · In trademark law, it can also be an infringement if a name is confusingly similar: ... share elements of spelling or style that would lead a reasonable observer to believe the trademarks were related. ... . The threshold is lower if the product or services are similar, as is the case here.

Also here: Trademark Likelihood of Confusion, some examples of things that were ruled (in the US) as being too similar: Magnavox vs. Multivox, Simoniz vs. Permanize, Platinum Puff vs. Platinum Plus. This legal layman says that it's a no-brainer that "Musilia" selling exclusively violin and cello cases is infringing on the trademarks "Musafia" and "Musafia Cremona Italy", which are exclusively used for violin and viola cases.

I understand that litigation is expensive.

Edited: October 22, 2017, 9:24 AM · You see, I worked with chinese before.

The thing is that the government of china does not play by international rules when it comes to honouring contracts and respecting trademarks.

Good luck sueing any facsimilies from your company if the counterfactors are based in china.

Panasamig and Hiphone are the first examples that come on the top of my head.

Edited: October 22, 2017, 9:43 AM · It may be hard to stop them from selling them via AliExpress, but every distributor in the EU or US is liable for infringement as well. But it would be a lot of lawsuits - although one can start by sending Cease and Desist letters to all distributors.
Edited: October 22, 2017, 10:22 AM · It's not so much hard as it is expensive, and I still think I can win with a better product. Which is the real game, in the end.

That said, I think Musilia doesn't look very honest, something they cannot deny, and I don't mind making fun of them at every opportunity :-)

October 22, 2017, 1:13 PM · Wow! Musilia violin cases are expensive. And it looks even less padded than bam violin cases. I purchased a bam violin case and had it for about 4 days before sending it back for a refund because it was a piece of merde. And these musilia cases look just like a bam rip off (in my opinion).
October 22, 2017, 10:29 PM · Come on guys. This thread was about if this Musilia P1 is a good case not if they have copied mr Musafias tradename. And from those answerd only Matt has answered me on the topic I asked...
October 23, 2017, 1:49 AM · I would hope that after reading the previous posts you would choose another brand of case to buy.
Edited: October 23, 2017, 4:01 AM · What Jeff said. When you *know* you're buying from someone like that ... what kind of product do you think you'll really get?
Edited: October 23, 2017, 5:28 AM · Here are endless threads about cases on the forum. Dont expect us to write the whole thing down every week.
In my first post I already told you to look at different cases. What do you think this implies on the case you asked for?
October 23, 2017, 2:35 PM · I myself prefer a wood shell case and have been mfg them for almost 50 years. I like a case that is lined with nice velvet and has suspension. I have people writing me for replacement covers telling me the case is fine just needs a new cover 20 yrs later.
October 23, 2017, 4:21 PM · Hi Mr. Bobelock, I have seen your cases in some of of our local music stores and in various snail mail catalogs and think they look durable with well fitted case covers to keep the bad weather out. Fifty years in business is ling time and you must be very fortunate to be prosperous with your own company. Maybe the original poster Mr. Maimaris will consider a nice Bobelock case for his precious violin.
October 23, 2017, 6:26 PM · Both my violin case and my viola case are Bobelocks -- the JSI special. They're heavy but very well made, super solid. My daughter has the Embassy Courier case which is also a very nice case.
October 23, 2017, 7:50 PM · How protective is a Bobelock Featherlite? It's about a pound heavier than a Lievissima. (It's also much less expensive, at about $140.)
Edited: October 23, 2017, 10:49 PM · Great to see you here, Steven! But you're too modest -

For those who don't know, the Bobelock family has been making cases since 1902, that's 115 years, and today Mr. Bobelock still puts his name on every one. He knows what he's talking about.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music