Fiddlerman strings

October 19, 2017, 5:53 PM · Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I was not able to see it in the archive threads. Does anyone have experience with Fiddlerman strings? Synthetic core... are they any good? comparable with? Thanks! Ken

Replies (14)

October 21, 2017, 2:42 AM · I have used three sets of Fiddlerman strings. The strings are better than most and equal to many...like dominants. Simply a very good all around set of strings. The d and a strings impressed me. I will buy more.
October 21, 2017, 3:43 AM · As a beginner player of 3 and a bit years, of course, I have experimented with different strings, as you do :) I have the Fiddlerman strings on one of my instruments, and, as others have said elsewhere, they have a very similar feel and sound to Dominants. If anything (on the particular instrument I use them) they have a "softer" tone - hard to describe.... but, very nice strings at the price-point.
Edited: October 21, 2017, 5:18 AM · I have replaced the old dominant strings on my three violins with the Fiddlerman strings. They are half the price of Dominants, but have the power that a couple of my violins needed to "tone-down" their overly bright (harsh) sound.
October 21, 2017, 3:29 PM · For half the price of Dominants you can get Tonica Strings from Pirastro, which are just as good.
October 22, 2017, 4:06 AM · If you are trying to say tonica is just as good as Fiddlerman Strings, you are wrong. Fiddlerman Strings are a much more balanced, smoother set of strings.
As with everything Fiddlerman, he presents a higher value.
October 22, 2017, 5:41 AM · Yes, I am trying to say Tonica is a better value.
October 22, 2017, 8:55 AM · Tonica are good strings, especially in the "New Formula". I have not tried Fiddlerman strings, but as a long time professional using Dominants, I'd be happy to order a set and do a comparison.
October 22, 2017, 9:36 AM · Does anyone know who make Fiddlerman strings and are they like everything else Fiddlerman promotes, made in China??
October 22, 2017, 9:48 AM · From the Fiddlerman webshop: German made.
October 22, 2017, 10:05 AM · By who???
October 22, 2017, 1:10 PM · I think there is only one main company producing strings in Germany, that would be Pirastro.
Edited: October 22, 2017, 3:35 PM · Tonica strings are excellent, and not much like Dominants, in my experience. They're not just a cheaper substitute. The have very different tonal characteristics from Dominants. Brighter, subtler, more complex, and altogether more like the gut sound of Eudoxa strings.
October 22, 2017, 2:31 PM · Ive heard of another German company producing cheap strings besides Pirastro.
November 17, 2017, 2:40 PM · I was pretty disappointed. I wanted to try the strings, but I needed new strings right away, because I just broke one, and I can’t find a store nearby that sells them. Going to go with Tonicas. If I don’t fall in love with the them, my next set will be Fiddlerman.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music