Comparing Etude Editions

Edited: October 18, 2017, 1:25 PM · It looks like there is a little bit of previous discussion comparing different etude editions, but those threads seem to be archived, so I thought I'd start this one.

It would be nice to have a comparison of different pros and cons of various etude editions. I'm specifically thinking about which edition of the Rode etudes to buy. There's the standard Galamian, but I'm also running across a Max Rostal edition. Does anyone have experience with both and, can you break down the differences?

I have both the Galamian and Yampolski editions of Kreutzer, and for the most part, I use the Galamian, although the Yampolski sometimes has some really interesting alternative solutions to problems, and it has some additional variations (Included in the Yampolski is a souped-up staccato variation by Lambert Massart, which is a really good continuation of the early staccato etude) that are for the most part above my pay-grade.

Anyway, I know Galamian editions are pretty standard, but I'm curious if anyone feels really strongly about other editions of various etudes and can articulate the advantages.

Replies (10)

October 18, 2017, 7:52 PM · For Kreutzer, I use Carl Flesch's edition: compared to Galamian he often uses contractions across the strings rather than extensions along the string. He probably had smaller hands than Galamian.
I have transfered Flesch's fingerings to my Ricordi viola edition.
(I too have small hands..)

This accentuates the need for very personal advice when teaching chidren, and dainty-handed young ladies.

October 18, 2017, 9:08 PM · I have both Galamian and Rostal for Rode. I think the Schott edition looks better and Rostal provides much more details of how to practice, by way of extra symbols in the score. Of course, if you want things on two pages, International is the way to go, though they're notorious for typos (allegedly inserted on purpose to skirt copyright.) Fingerings aren't too different, though I think Rostal provides more alternate options.
October 18, 2017, 9:16 PM · I would encourage a student to look at multiple editions, especially to see just how much the pros can vary in opinion, but help them narrow down on certain things based on their specific needs.
Edited: October 19, 2017, 6:18 AM · In Europe, Edition Peters is very popular and almost the default publisher for music. I have the Peters edition of the Rode caprices, edited by Walther Davisson. Davisson makes very often use of second position, of "restez" fingerings with the necessary extensions upward or downward, as well as crawling position changes. So, "modern fingering" if you will.
October 19, 2017, 6:41 AM · I really like the new Edition Peters Urtext editions. Our quartet just used it for Haydn. They mark in all the suggested corrections for continuity everybody ends up doing anyways. AND. They include full score with the parts! What a novelty... Henle. Barenreiter. Are you paying attention?
October 19, 2017, 10:20 AM · I think I may check out the Rostal. I didn't find the Peters edition on Amazon, but it sounds interesting. Adrian, now I'm curious about the Flesch edition of Kreutzer; I didn't know he made one.

There's a Russian edition of the Rode, but I can't find the editor.

October 19, 2017, 10:28 AM · That Flesch edition is on sheetmusic plus:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/42-etuden-band-1-sheet-music/18516198

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/42-etuden-band-2-sheet-music/18505877

I might get it eventually as I'd love to see his fingerings, but boy is it pricey.

October 20, 2017, 1:13 AM · 8 different editions of Kreutzer: Forty Studies or Caprices for the Violin
October 20, 2017, 11:26 AM · That list looks like it's missing that red, hardback, spiral bound edition that came out a few years ago. I can't remember the publisher off the top of my head, though.
October 20, 2017, 11:50 AM · This one?
http://www.stringology.com

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music