Staccato? Easy?

October 18, 2017, 5:33 AM · Iv'e always heard that staccato is a devilishly hard technique to learn, however as I am currently working on it, that doesn't seem to be the case. It is in fact so is easy (for myself) that I begin to think I'm doing something wrong XD
Now, since I am just beginning to use, I don't know if it gets harder with more advanced pieces, but the overall technique is pretty easy.
I'm just wondering how everyone else's experience with staccato was. Bad, Good, or maybe even disastrous?

Replies (10)

October 18, 2017, 5:47 AM · If you're talking about the normal staccato stroke, no, it's not difficult to learn. If you're talking about the staccato volante (flying staccato), all-up or all-down bow, that's something that seems to have relationship with physiology. Some people have it pretty naturally, and some people have to work on it.
October 18, 2017, 5:57 AM · There are lots of aspects of violin technique and some things come more easily than others depending on the individual. In addition to what Lydia said about flying staccato, there is also the issue of whether "normal" staccato is sufficiently within your control that you can make it sound good under all tempos, positions, dynamics, and other musical circumstances.
October 18, 2017, 9:51 AM · @Paul
Certainly, someone may be able to play perfect technically however musically is a different thing all together.
Edited: October 18, 2017, 10:05 AM · People have different approaches to staccato. I still think Alexander Shonert's technique is brilliant and certainly works for me:

October 18, 2017, 12:28 PM · From the wrist with relaxed fingers--that's good advice I have never heard. Thanks Yixi!
October 18, 2017, 12:42 PM · I'm learning staccato now, "from the wrist with relaxed fingers" is what I'm being taught as well.
October 18, 2017, 1:49 PM · What I meant, Samson, is that sometimes a shorter or longer staccato is called for by the music -- whether one can execute that is a technical question.
October 18, 2017, 7:56 PM · Oh Ok, I understand now. Thanks for the clarification.
Edited: October 18, 2017, 8:16 PM · Samson, if you just start to learn/use staccato, you may also want to incorporate it into your daily scale practice, from slow (two notes/bow) to fast run of entire 2-3 octave/bow, up and down. This way you'll see it gets harder as you go faster. But I think if you do this everyday, you'll be well-prepared by the time you learn to play the Hora Staccato:

October 18, 2017, 8:24 PM · @Yixi Zhang
That was one thing I was thinking to do but never got around to it due to fear of messing up the overall movement, but I will definitely incorporate it into my scale practice.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music