Mendelssohns Violin Concerto or Mozart Concerto no. 3.

October 17, 2017, 4:22 PM · Which do you prefer? Mendelssohns violin concerto in E minor (the second mov.) or Mozart violin concerto no. 3 (first mov.)

Replies (17)

October 17, 2017, 4:31 PM · To play or to listen to? I love them both, but I love Mendelssohn a little bit more.
Edited: October 17, 2017, 9:32 PM · Man, both are wonderful pieces and movements. I'd say that I enjoy the Mozart a little more. There is something about his violin concerti that just makes me happy.
October 17, 2017, 9:38 PM · Pick your personal fave if you're learning to play it.
October 17, 2017, 9:44 PM · I love both of these pieces. I lean toward the Mendelssohn because I prefer the romantic vibe, but Mozart’s music is superb.
October 17, 2017, 9:46 PM · If the question is about playing rather than listening, then my answer might change. Mendelssohn 2nd movement is technically much more difficult than the first movement of Mozart G Major.
Edited: October 18, 2017, 1:25 AM · yes, i meant to play, although my teacher reckons i can manage the Mendelssohn better than the Mozart Mary ..? but she said it was up to me, but i love both pieces equally!!
October 18, 2017, 2:27 AM · I love both concertos, understanding they were written by classical geniuses. However I love Mendelssohn much more than I do to Mozart No 3.

In my opinion as a viewer, Mendelssohn is more original and technically more demanding. Mozart no 3, on the other hand, is more cheerful and platonic. All of Mozart's violin concertos are like that, happy, playful, easily recognizable.

I also love Mendelssohn more because it is more 'violin-oriented' (i.e. written solely for the violin), with moments of sadness and solemnity which fully utilizes the melismatic power of the violin. If you transcribe it for other instruments, like the piano, I believe it would be difficult to preserve all what can be achieved via the violin. Any of Mozart violin concertos, on the other hand, can be easily transcribed for piano without losing much of their luster.

P/S I am an amateur fiddler and avid violin concerto listener.

Edited: October 18, 2017, 3:08 AM · Mozart is a better choice because it is definitely easier of the two and you can learn so many things including precise left-right hand coordination. If you have trouble playing fast passages, Mozart is an excellent training material.
October 18, 2017, 5:06 AM · If you mean for yourself to play, I concur with Mozart.

October 18, 2017, 5:13 AM · Mozart is technically easier to play than the Mendelssohn. I like listening to the Mozart better, I've never really loved listening to the Mendelssohn. However, I find the Mendelssohn more fun to play for myself.

Is that confusing enough?

Edited: October 18, 2017, 6:59 AM · Mozart #3, for both playing and listening.

I myself have not yet played the Mendelssohn. It is likely my next piece although I am not looking forward to it....

October 18, 2017, 4:33 PM · Learn both, but Mozart first for above-mentioned reasons.
Edited: October 18, 2017, 5:53 PM · Since I'm such the decisive person. In order to pick one over the other I'll use high end thought processes and exemplary reasoning to pick... which ever one plays next on my ipod. And it is Mozart. Yea Mozart!
October 18, 2017, 8:58 PM · Hahahahah clever tactic Jim!!
October 20, 2017, 7:52 AM · While on the topic of Mendelssohn's concerto, since he reworked it, is there ever confusion between the two versions or is it always just understood that his later version is the one to be used?

While both pieces are extraordinary, in my opinion Mozart provides an euphoric feeling, especially when played with maturity, that could sway opinions.

In any case Good Luck, both are excellent options!

October 24, 2017, 11:21 AM · This is rather exciting to see because I sort of jumped around with my reps and haven't played either the Mozart or the Mendelssohn--I've at most sight-read through both, but never hunkered down to work on them.

I personally enjoyed sight-reading through Mendelssohn more than I did Mozart--it's much flashier and has the more "concerto" vibe, whereas the Mozart is much simpler in ornaments. But then again, I've always been biased against Mozart so maybe my opinion is much less valuable than others'.

Edited: October 24, 2017, 11:44 AM · My opinion is based on what I believe to be true about the OP from previous posts. The OP's teacher is in a better position to evaluate. I do scratch my head a bit at giving a student the choice between Mendelssohn 2nd movement and Mozart G major when the two pieces are quite different both stylistically and in terms of technical difficulty.

Edited to clarify who I was referring to.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music