New Member- Restored 1700's

October 14, 2017, 4:24 PM · Hello All. I'm new to the forum. Not a frequent user of the Internet either. As a long time hobby of mine I seek out musical instruments for repair. 99/100 are cheap instruments that may look rough, but I'm able to clean up like new.

Currently I've sent in a genuine violin of the 1700's for restoration.
It is labeled, I have researched the maker. Others known to exist. Also researched prior sales. Which I find only 2 priors, both I believe to been sold in Europe. I am in America. I will give more specifics later. And some before/after photos.

The main reason for posting is to hear any knowledge that one may share. And to eventually find a good home for this piece of history. I could simply post ads, or an eBay auction. But for an item so precious I'd like to see it finds a wonderful home. I've thought there's an auction specifically for instruments such as this. Just can't think of the name..

Replies (5)

October 14, 2017, 4:37 PM · The violin might look nice, but that doesn't mean it'll sound nice.
October 14, 2017, 5:18 PM · If you're not an expert you really have no way of knowing if it genuine or not, chances are its a fraud.
Edited: October 15, 2017, 8:17 AM · At a rough guess I'd say at least 50% of violin labels are false and 95% of violins with Italian maker labels are actually German, Czecho, Hungarian... I've been sort-of restoring a quite nice-looking old thing (described by the auction house as "interesting") with a crudely hand-written Carlo Bergonzi label. Scanning Jalovec's Encyclopedia I find genuine Bergonzi labels were actually very nicely machine-printed. The violin has some nasty gouge-marks on the back which I'm told are deliberate antiquing (more like "maiming"). It also has a small repair on the front where a different piece of wood has been spliced in - surely a sign of genuine wear and tear? Not so - a few weeks ago another "interesting" Bergonzi came up for sale online with a repair in the same place!
October 15, 2017, 12:25 AM · But Chris - take a look at Amati.com. Send them photos and they'll tell you (for free) whether they think your violin is the real deal and what it's likely to make at auction
October 15, 2017, 12:26 AM · Put up some pictures. We cannot give any opinions without those.

Cheers Carlo

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music