Mixing/Melting Rosins?

October 11, 2017, 4:08 PM · I am pretty sure all of us have one time dropped a rosin and cracked it and just tucked it away some time ago, in which that happened to me again recently. So, currently I have two broken rosin cakes in which they're shattered and unusable without getting your fingers sticky. I also acquired some more broken rosin (Bass rosin, cello rosin, violin rosin, all-purpose rosin) from school during cleanup. I'm planning to melt them all together but I have a couple of questions.

1. Would it make the rosin quite unstable due to the fact that bass rosin has slightly different properties than cello and violin rosin? Would it have adverse effects on the bow hair?

2. How am I going to melt this rosin? I've done it with a solder and even a lighter, but let's say the lighter one ended up burning my rosin away. Is there any kind of heat that you guys think that could melt rosin?

Thanks to all,

The Kiddu

Replies (9)

October 11, 2017, 6:57 PM · Rosin gets fairly soft at 200 Deg F. Use a toaster over and some foil.
Edited: October 11, 2017, 8:14 PM · I wouldn't worry so much about mixing/being interchangeable with Violin/Viola/Cello rosin, but some bass rosin's are so soft they're more liquid than solid. I have no idea if it would damage your bow hair, but I doubt it.

As to melting, put them in a tin and heat them in the oven at around 150c until they've melted together enough for you, then let them cool and pop it out.

October 12, 2017, 5:51 AM · @TImothy Jayne @Michhael McGrath Ok, thanks! I've got enough rosin to try both
October 12, 2017, 5:58 AM · I melt them on the smooth-top stove in a steel measuring cup on lowest heat. Then I mold them in a silicone mini-cupcake mold. My mini-cupcake mold is heart-shaped, so all of my recovered rosin cakes are called "Rosins of Love."
October 13, 2017, 5:35 AM · @Paul Deck That's a very appropriate name for those. I'm probably going to Goodwills today to get some random molds.
October 13, 2017, 8:34 PM · Try one of those $10 mug warmers. Slow, steady heat transfer and a relatively safe element that won’t risk burning your rosin. I’ve been experimenting with them to see if they are a safer tool for 11 year-olds in the science classroom.
October 13, 2017, 9:12 PM · I've always used a toaster oven @ less than 200°F with an Al-foil cup shaped on an appropriate size bottle cap.
October 14, 2017, 4:08 AM · I would be careful of fire hazard in heating rosin. At what temperature could it catch fire? I know making violin varnish is a fire danger.

Cheers Carlo

October 14, 2017, 4:28 AM · Good point Carlo. Some varnish makers on Maestronet recommend cooking it outside to prevent burning down your house or shop and the few videos I have watched of making varnish were shot outside.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance