Ever known a manuf to lie about the fittings material?

October 9, 2017, 8:55 PM · Have you seen an inexpensive instrument that was advertised as having ebony pegs, fingerboard, tailpiece & chinrest and you know for a fact they weren't?

Replies (11)

October 9, 2017, 9:16 PM · Yes!!!
October 9, 2017, 9:22 PM · well, a luthier once lied about the type of wood used in the bow he was trying to sell to me..
October 9, 2017, 9:29 PM · As I say on my website, Honesty is the Best Policy!!
October 9, 2017, 9:35 PM · Often you will see “ebony” when in fact the wood is only ebonised.

Cheers Carlo

October 9, 2017, 9:41 PM · Or you commonly see genuine ebony that has some lighter grain sections stained black
Edited: October 9, 2017, 10:12 PM · If it sounds too good to be true it's probably too good to be true.

Also as Lyndon says, a lot of marbled ebony is stained to get that 'all black' look. It's still real ebony, and it still does the same job as ebony, whatever you believe that job to be (beyond being hard!).

I think it's terrible since I rather like the marbled appearance, and hate how sometimes the stain will come off on your fingers.

October 10, 2017, 5:35 AM · a manufacturer lie - no! lol
I think what I've run into is not so much that they lied, but they didn't let on they used lower quality woods. It will be reflected in the price and the sound, usually. My violin is a cheap one and it is obvious in the wood. But I didn't pay for much better anyway. I'm still waiting for when I get a year in before I decide to purchase a higher quality instrument- got to make sure I take well to the violin before sinking in a lot of bucks. So far so good.

@Michael, first thing that happened, the varnish on the fingerboard wore off. And it looks like they pegged the fingerboard to the neck- little round wood pins through the fingerboard. go figure...

October 10, 2017, 6:12 AM · The fingerboard is not supposed to be varnished, only oiled.
October 10, 2017, 9:47 AM · Manufacturers no, but retailers yes.
October 10, 2017, 10:09 AM · @Lyndon varnished, spray painted, dark oiled, whatever, it rubbed off. After all cheap is cheap, for now its all good, I really didn't expect better. However after I spend 4k on a violin, that will be a different story... and attitude dealing with it.
October 10, 2017, 6:19 PM · jim,

I've had it happen with cheaper guitars. Sometimes it's an absolute bear to get off the fingers.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance