Need a mellow A string

October 9, 2017, 5:16 PM · I love my violin, but the A string is so brilliant to the point that it is a bit harsh. My violin is naturally bright, which I like, but I need to mellow my A string a little bit. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I heard the obligatos where good to mellow\darken a violin. I currently use PI strings.

Replies (9)

October 9, 2017, 6:25 PM · Maybe Warchal Karneol?
October 9, 2017, 6:50 PM · This might be doable with a soundpost adjustment.
October 9, 2017, 6:57 PM · Hard to know, since we can't hear your violin; but if you can get another player or a luthier -- or your teacher, if you have one -- to play your instrument 10-20 feet away from you, you should get a better idea of how your A sounds to an audience with this instrument.

Although strings can shade the tone one way or another, the bright or dark sound depends mainly on your instrument.

No personal experience here with Obligatos. The PI strings I've used so far are D-G, D being aluminum. I still use the D on one fiddle but now use Infeld Red G, which gives me a darker sound in the low notes than PI did. FWIW, the current combo on this fiddle:

E - Goldbrokat Medium
A - Vision Solo
D - PI Aluminum
G - Infeld Red

Experiment and compare; but a luthier might help shorten the process and spare you some expense.

October 9, 2017, 6:58 PM · Try the obligato.
October 10, 2017, 8:39 AM · You could try putting a plastic sleeve on the A string like new E strings typically come with although I always remove them before installing the E. Or maybe you could try a small piece of leather under A and hope that it doesnt buzz.
Edited: October 13, 2017, 2:23 AM · Aricore-Eudoxa. Lovely.

Pro Arte is mellow too, but noticeaby higher tension than Aricore.

October 13, 2017, 3:09 PM · +1 on Eudora aricore
October 13, 2017, 4:12 PM · I've had good experiences with Pro Artes (without E) on my current violin. The A and D strings are mellow and dark, and they're very cheap.
Edited: October 13, 2017, 5:32 PM · Give a plain gut A a try-out. I say "plain" because in my experience the plain gut A gives a better tone than the corresponding covered gut A (Eudoxa), is less expensive and lasts noticeably longer without losing its tone (a bug-bear of all covered strings). The Pirastro Chorda A is the one I'd recommend, if only because I can buy it over the counter in at least two violin shops within walking distance. But of course I'm very satisfied with it and see no need to go further afield for other makes.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music