What is everyone’s favorite humidification system??

October 9, 2017, 4:04 PM · What is everyone’s preferred humidifier? Been scoping out the Bobelock system. Anyone like the Stretto one?

Thanks!!

Replies (17)

October 9, 2017, 4:51 PM · I use Dampits in my instruments when it is dry enough so that the skin on my face feels dry. Very scientific.
October 9, 2017, 5:10 PM · I've posted so many times already about humidification, that I'm reluctant to get even more repetitive.
October 9, 2017, 5:11 PM · I use stretto bags and they seem to work well. Only downside is that they "dry out" and stop absorbing water after they've been used a while and you have to buy more.
October 9, 2017, 5:21 PM · I prefer the tube that comes with the Musafia case. The stretto bags have ongoing cost issues and the bobelock bottle is too small to have any effect.

Cheers Carlo

Edited: October 9, 2017, 5:30 PM · You know, I have never used a humidification system and actually leave my violin out (ready to be played) all the time unless I'm taking it somewhere. I had issues with bows sometimes tightening or loosening on its own and sometimes a string becomes way out of tune but only when the weather changed a lot or I haven't played it for a while. I know yikes right! I do have a 2009 violin and I guess newer violins can withstand more.

Maybe someone can give horror stories so I change my practice.

So anyway I am no help to you. Don't read this! ;) You did ask for everyone's favorite humidification system.

October 9, 2017, 5:43 PM · I suggest a multi-layered approach

Control the humidity on the house level via a duct unit

Control the humidity in the room using a room unit

Control the humidity in the case using a large case tube system. The Stretto system seems ok, although I don't use it because my case has a large tube based system.

Don't put anything in your F-holes! These types of humidifiers can leak, cause localized moisture build-up, and can promote mold.

October 9, 2017, 6:20 PM · Musafia tube is very good. Boveda gel packs for more long-term security.
October 9, 2017, 6:26 PM · Can you buy the Musafia tube somewhere online?
Edited: October 9, 2017, 6:29 PM · So far, I've never used anything inside the case. I'm around the 34th parallel in the American Southeast, where warm, humid air dominates more than half the year. In winter, I use a centrally-located humidifier set at 50%.
October 9, 2017, 6:58 PM · There are designs where you replace the "string tube" (which is BS anyway) with a piece of rigid tubing that you buy at the hardware store, pack loosely with some kind of adsorbent material, and cut a bunch of holes in it. Whatever you do, you've got to ensure that it cannot ever drip liquid water into or onto your violin.
Edited: October 9, 2017, 10:05 PM · I agree with Paul. String tubes don’t really have much use now. Who buys uncoiled gut strings these days?

Cheers Carlo

October 9, 2017, 11:41 PM · I currently use two dampids that I knot at one of the bowholders, as my two small humidity tanks I bought are not powerfull enough.
On my other case I got a Musafia humidifier which is ok.
I am currently looking to get something similar for the first case too, as winter is comming.
In addition I control humidity in the room I store the cases and loosly control it in the rest of my house.
I bought a few enps to make a temp/humidity tracker for the cases that can telegraph me on my mobile when getting out of comfort zone and provide statistics on a wrest server.
October 10, 2017, 6:48 AM · I'm currently using a Stretto and more recently a Dampit. My violin sounds best when the case humidity is between 50 and 60%.

Am thinking about drilling holes into my string tube and filling with the water absorbent crystals, or maybe even felt, to see if that's a better solution compared to the Stretto.

Edited: October 10, 2017, 7:07 AM · Kan Pai, humidification is highly advised in climates with very cold winter temperatures. In this situation, indoor relative humidity levels can easily drop below 15%. Repair people in these areas are well familiar with "the high crack" season.

Less dramatic and longer-term damage can come from moisture levels which are too high. I maintain a humidity level in my shop which never goes lower than 40%, or higher than 60 percent, year-round.

October 12, 2017, 5:50 PM · Does anyone prefer the Oasis??
October 12, 2017, 5:54 PM · I've tried a number of humidification systems. My current and favorite is the Boveda. It's a two way system that adds and removes moisture to maintain desirable levels. The 49% packs are what I use. They last for several months.
October 12, 2017, 5:54 PM · I use an Oasis Mandolin humidifer. I used fabric glue to glue the magnet in my case so I could be sure it wouldn’t ever move. Every happy with it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music