Tips for 1st violin part of Ride of the Valkyries

October 8, 2017, 6:23 AM · I have an orchestral asesment/audition thing coming up and this is one of the pieces. Any tips on this devilish violin part?

Replies (7)

October 8, 2017, 6:32 AM · No matter what happens, keep your left hand moving and in rythm. Try to get starting and end points close to perfect and hope the best for the middle of fast passages. Make sure on beat notes are correct in both intonation and rythm.
Of course playing it perfectly would be even better. ;)
October 8, 2017, 7:03 AM · Ride of the Valkryies on an audition, that's just cruel. The most important thing is what Marc says, make sure your on the beat notes are in tune and in time. If you're asked to play the passage at rehearsal 5, it's best to shift only on the beats whenever possible.

I have never seen this on a pro audition list, though maybe it appears on opera orchestra auditions--I never took one of those. In general the violin part is more of an effect than anything else, considering how loud the brass is.

Edited: October 8, 2017, 8:08 AM · Dress appropriately and put valkyrie helmet on!
You may not win the audition, but will have a lot of fun and perhaps share some good vibes.
October 8, 2017, 12:29 PM · "Cruel" is the word. The other adjective I have heard about Wagner string parts is "sadistic". Get the first and last note in a run, then add more notes in between. Avoid shifts in the middle of a run, shift positions between the runs. For what it's worth, nobody hears or thinks that fast, so wrong or weak notes in the middle of a run is not a mortal sin. Good luck with that.
October 8, 2017, 2:00 PM · Get those fingers to work in groups! I haven't had to play that in an audition before; if I remember correctly it was kind of an old-school sightreading piece that would get thrown onto auditions in the final round. Good luck!
October 9, 2017, 5:41 AM · We're getting ready to perform that one in an upcoming concert this week. Our concertmaster told us in her emailed notes to envision the brass as the Valkyries and ourselves as the bugs that keep flying into their helmets. (She also said basically the same thing that Marc did above.) Good luck!
October 10, 2017, 10:08 AM · It's a riddle - They want you to airbow and move your fingers on the fingerboard without making a sound. Make sure you really grimace alot to sell it better.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance