La Campanella vs. Witches Dance

October 7, 2017, 9:48 PM · Hi I was wondering what you guys thought about Paganini's La Campanella (third movement.) and his Witches Dance and which one would be easier to learn? To me I think that witches dance would be but if they are relatively the same I might want to go for La Campanella.

Replies (6)

October 8, 2017, 4:49 AM · I think if you have to ask which is easier, you're probably not ready for either one yet. What does your teacher say?
October 8, 2017, 6:53 AM · My teacher has not looked at them yet. She Just wants me to think of pieces I like for the future so I know what I want to shoot for.
October 8, 2017, 9:46 AM · Witch's Dance will be easier to learn. La Campanella is many years away for both of us.
October 8, 2017, 11:05 AM · I assume the OP is referring to the original Witches' Dance as composed by Paganini, which is extremely difficult, and not the Suzuki book two arrangement.

You can see the sheet music here. I would not say it is significantly easier than La Campanella. http://ks.petruccimusiclibrary.org/files/imglnks/usimg/3/3a/IMSLP239326-SIBLEY1802.20675.d8c2-39087009419336violin.pdf

October 8, 2017, 11:20 AM · My mistake, I assumed he meant the suzuki version.
October 8, 2017, 6:07 PM · I believe Le Streghe is very difficult, but La Campanella is even more difficult.

Whether or not that difficulty delta is enough to matter at this level is probably a matter of what virtuosic tricks are most challenging for you.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance