Kreutzer no 10

Edited: October 3, 2017, 2:08 PM · Hi
I am studying Kreutzer no 10 for an exam. I have to know some general knowledge about the piece. I have a few ideas but can anyone else help?

Thanks

Replies (6)

October 3, 2017, 3:46 PM · That is one of my favorite etudes. I like to warm up with it. But I play it slower than you're likely to need for your exam. When you play it faster the staccato dots on the eighth notes make a lot more sense than when you go slow. Even though it's an etude, I refuse to play it mechanically, but rather as musically as possible. You also have a nice opportunity to make a clear distinction between major and minor arpeggios in the same key by keeping B naturals high and B flats low.

That's my admittedly amateur take on it.

October 3, 2017, 6:25 PM · Talking about exam, which edition of the Kreuzter do you guys use, personally and for teaching?

I know on the ABRSM syllabus the recommended edition is just a reference, and all they require is any reliable edition for the exam. But for this particular choice, different edition has different articulation, and most importantly, speed.

The Edition Peters (recommended on syllabus) says Allegro, and IMC says Allegro as well, but Schirmer says Moderato.

October 3, 2017, 11:19 PM · My edition is Peters, but it doesn't really matter. I'm doing AMEB (Australian) grade. We have to prepare 6 pieces. We are also asked general knowledge questions, including name and explain notes, rests, signs, terms, title, key/tonality, key changes at obvious places, the form, period/time frame and how the piece is typical of the period.
October 4, 2017, 5:59 PM · The piece is typical of the period in the sense that composer of studies of that period would twist and turn the harmony around and repeat things ad nauseum until, lo and behold, the length of the piece was either one entire page or two.
October 5, 2017, 11:47 AM · A good way to learn the tricks, though, repeating patterns in different variations. On the whole, however, I prefer the Mazas ├ętudes as more melodic.
October 5, 2017, 11:50 AM · Parker I like the Mazas etudes too. Just something about them grabs me. Some of the Kreutzers are very good. I like No. 35 very much.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance