Haydn's Thirty Celebrated (Berühmte) String Quartets

October 3, 2017, 10:31 AM · A question came up at my chamber music session last evening. What is the origin of the so-named celebrated or berühmte string quartets of Haydn? More to the point, who selected them? I am aware of a few editions (Peters, Kalmus, International, etc.).

Replies (8)

Edited: October 3, 2017, 4:22 PM · I have a few different International edition chamber books that are called "six celebrated trios" and such. Various composers.
October 3, 2017, 4:42 PM · Thank you, Paul. I'm referring specifically to thirty quartets originally thought to be composed by Haydn (although two of those [Op. 3] were later attributed to Roman Hoffstetter, and even that is apparently not clear). This collection is variously called the Famous, Celebrated, or Berühmte string quartets.
October 6, 2017, 1:43 AM · Google translates the first 5 lines of the Vorwort to my Peters edition surprisingly well:

In the selection of the present collection, which contains, besides the most beautiful, the most singular works of Joseph Haydn, although we originally intended to present the personal development of the composer to the field of his particular genre, which he had diligently and successfully cultivated, for practical reasons we have not entered into the chronological procedure, but are faithful to the order of the individual editions, which is the order of the individual numbers..

It's signed "The publishers", which would imply Peters made the selection. Are the arrangers the same in every edition? In mine Andreas Moser's dates are 1859-1925 and Hugo Dechert's 1860-1923 so we could guess this Peters edition could have been around 1900.

October 6, 2017, 9:38 AM · Steve -

Which edition (publisher, publication number, date, etc.) do you have? The various Peters renditions I've seen have the forward signed by the editor ("Die Herausgeber")?

October 7, 2017, 9:34 AM · Sorry, I don't have the parts to hand but it's the Peters edition of about 40 years ago with the Vorwort signed as you say which google translates as "The publishers"
October 7, 2017, 9:49 AM · Steve -

I stated that the Forward in the version I saw was signed by the editor ("Die Herausgeber"), not the publisher. It is my understanding that verleger is the German word for publisher (hence, G. Henle Verlag, Barenreiter Verlag, etc.).

October 8, 2017, 12:07 AM · Herausgeber seems to be a portmanteau word whose two constituents should collectively mean "giver-out", but google does indeed translate both "editor" and "publisher" as "Herausgeber"! That's masculine, so in this context "die" would be the plural of "der" rather than the feminine. So at least we can conclude there was more than one of them!

Anyway, it might be (slightly) interesting to know whether there exist other editions of the selection with different editors

October 8, 2017, 3:45 AM · While I have not performed an exhaustive search, all of the versions of the thirty string quartets I have located to date were edited by Moser and Dechert.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance