Violin String Tubes

October 3, 2017, 7:50 AM · Does anyone know where I can purchase a violin string tube (and the clips) for my case? It did not come with one, but I would like to add one. Thanks!

Replies (5)

October 3, 2017, 8:34 AM · Hi Ken and welcome to Violinist.com.

Two ideas that I thought of is to go to a hardware store and buy a piece of half or three quarter inch pvc pipe and two endcaps. If you prefer clear they have various size soft plastic coiled on spools and you would have to improvise on straightening it and stopping the ends.

October 3, 2017, 9:32 AM · Thanks Jeff! A day or so ago I contacted Great Violin Cases, and asked if they sell them, and after submitting this post, they responded that they do! So, I am ordering one from them... The PVC pipe is a brilliant idea though. Thanks again!
Edited: October 6, 2017, 7:32 AM · I've been looking at the same thing. I found a great substitute. Florescent light tube covers. Designed to keep glass shards from going everywhere in the event a bulb breaks.

Plastic tubes in colors with end caps. The T-5 size is the smallest and best suited for violin strings. Trim to the length you want.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/t5-fluorescent-tube-guards/

Can also be found at local home centers. I would plug the caps with epoxy or simply tape ends since they have small holes.

Edited: October 6, 2017, 8:23 AM · While we're on the improvising theme, a local bow-maker once recommended to me that, instead of paying through the nose for a bespoke bow case, I purchase a billiard/pool cue case for a tiny fraction of the price of the other. I did so, the cue case does an excellent job and I have been happy ever since when I need to carry, or store, a bow separate from the violin case.

The bow-maker has a good stock of cue cases in his store :)

The only drawback is that carrying such a case could conceivably suggest that the owner had a misspent youth. True in my case? I'm not sayin'.

October 6, 2017, 8:38 AM · Unless you intend to carry uncoiled gut or gut-core strings, a string tube is superfluous at best at a possible volume-intrusive nuisance.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music