Christmas Project

October 3, 2017, 3:15 AM · Returning to the violin I just started with my fourth year of lessons.
When I was a stubborn kid I refused any kind of recital. Perhaps due to being decades older or because my teacher somehow convinced me that it is fun to do something with what you learn, I started a Christmas project.
My sisters had something like ten years of private lessons (guitar, piano) when they were kids/teens (I had only a couple of years).
We all did not touch our instruments for several decades.
I asked them to do a surprise performance together for the patient and uncomplaining family with Hallelujah by Cohen. Therefore I bought sheet music for voice, guitar and piano. The notes for voice are simple but a bit plain. I tried to listen to some YouTube videos to find ways to fresh it up while not challenging me too much. The sheet music is in C.
Can someone recommend nice manageable violin sheet music in C for gathering ideas?
Recommendations on how to practice together? We do not live in the same area, I guess we will manage to meet twice max.
I have no background in playing together with other instruments besides being accompanied by my teacher playing piano or violin and one recital Vivaldi double with three violins.
All ideas and recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks
Eva

Replies (5)

October 3, 2017, 4:20 AM · "Can someone recommend nice manageable violin sheet music in C for gathering ideas?"

Become a member at Musescore. I think it's free. When you download Musescore files you can change them to any key you want.

If your partners had 10 years of lessons they should be able to handle other keys, though! C major is actually a harder key on the violin -- harder than, say, G or D major.

October 3, 2017, 5:24 AM · I will check out Musescore.
The key does not really matter. When I bought the sheet music, C was marked to be the original. Now I do not want to have a violin part in another key than the guitar and piano part. But perhaps Musescore has a nicer set up for all parts in another key.
Thanks
Eva
October 3, 2017, 5:40 AM · I think you could make a lot out of it by doing a bit sul g/d on that one.
Edited: October 3, 2017, 9:02 AM · MusicNotes is another useful site/app to use for buying sheet music and changing keys.

Have you listened to Lindsay Sterling's version of Hallelujah? She uses some simple fiddle ornaments through out. Perhaps some improvisation is something you could do with the sheet music you already have with your violin part. If you wanted to purchase the sheet music you can get that on MusicNotes as well, the key is in D but you can change it to C before purchasing if you choose.

In terms of practicing together, on my iPhone I have an app called Capo Touch. By far the most useful app I have ever used!!!!! You can import songs from your music library AND (and to me this is what makes it invaluable) voice notes from your phone! The people you are playing with can take a voice note of them playing their part send it to you. You can import it into capo and there you go, you can play along with them. You can also change keys in that app, slow down/speed up the tempo, loop parts you find troublesome to repeatedly practice too.....very useful. I also use it for slow practice on new pieces I'm learning. My teacher will play and I will record it, import it into my app and use that as a practice tool.

October 4, 2017, 10:21 AM · Thanks a lot!
I will try your recommendations!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music