Need help correcting my hand frame

October 1, 2017, 4:56 PM · This is my hand when playing B-C#-D-E
https://imgur.com/a/bx8XG

I hadn't noticed how weird it actually looked until I took a picture of it, myself. Any guidance in correcting it is much appreciated. It's been almost a year since I started playing (actually much less, I played November 2016 and Dec 2016, stopped, then resumed this September, so basically somewhere between 3-4 months). I should add, from this angle my 4th finger looks flattened, but it is not, it's just the weird angle I had to take the picture from.

Replies (8)

Edited: October 2, 2017, 11:42 AM · Your knuckles look too high relative to the fingerboard for your length of fingers. There is more wrong than that, but it looks to be the driving problem for some of the other issues so I would start with that. Galamian's book covers setup well, you might check it out.
October 2, 2017, 1:34 AM · I recommend that the crease at the base of the fingers be at the same height (from the floor, as it were) as the string we are playing on.
Edited: October 2, 2017, 5:01 AM ·

Looks like there isn't a gap at bottom of the thumb and index finger. If you were attempting to play vibrato on the G string, I would say your hands and shoulders are correct. This has more to do with shoulders than hands and fingers: you're not swinging the arm back into position for A string playing.

Practice placing a finger on the G string, and then swing the arm back first, and then move the finger to the A string. Note: keep the gap on A string.

Edited: October 2, 2017, 6:12 AM · Looks pretty good to me, though a snap of a static hand posture from one vantage is limited in what it shows us. A video of finger action for a specific passage regarding a specific problem would tell us more.

I don't leave a gap at side-of-first-finger (soff) contact. I use my hand kind of like a wrench around a bolt (cross section of neck) so that the thumb is lower and soff higher relative to strings on G string and vice versa on E string. The absolute height of the hand depends on shape of hand, proportions, and context of what's required for the passage.

The only things I'd tweak in the specific posture you've shown us are:

-for semitones, overlap the finger tips, fingerpad of higher finger over nail of lower finger, so the fingers are inline on the string

-make sure the middle knuckles don't squeeze together

-make sure the ball of the thumb is not squeezing

What I see is that your first finger is facing more to the left than your second, which might be a sign of squeezing between middle knuckles (which is often accompanied by squeezing ball of thumb.) Try leaning 1st middle knuckle away from you onto the fingerboard. Overlapping 3 over 2 will help, since then you won't be forcing their middle knuckles apart.

Edit: it also looks like your elbow might be rotated in too much for A string, though it's hard to tell for sure from the picture. Of course some people rotate at the wrist and change the shapes of fingers to reach the others strings, but I'm not sure your hands are large enough to do that.

October 2, 2017, 10:33 AM · Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to try them out!
October 2, 2017, 11:46 AM · If you can post a video of some scales from the front (scroll) and side so we can see your whole left arm we could give you some more tips.
October 3, 2017, 1:21 PM · What level of playing are you at, op?
October 4, 2017, 7:19 AM · It looks to me like you have a large hand and long fingers. If so, I see no major problems for a static picture of that kind of hand. Your index finger could rotate around more so the fingernail faces toward you. It takes a while to develop those muscles, so work on it. The above advice to not have a death grip is essential to good technique.

What is your problem when playing?
What does your teacher say?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music