Ruggiero Ricci Fraud CD

October 1, 2017, 12:05 PM ·

The Abc record company is offering a limited edition of a Ruggiero Ricci cd titled The Violin Life, check the link below. I have listened to all the violin clips, my conclusion is, it just don't sound like Ricci. I have listened to Ricci's playing all my life, he had a very distinctive sound, and I just don't hear a trace of it here. I would like some of your opinions. Thanks Rick

http://www.abcrecord.com/en/goods.php?id=5922

Replies (21)

Edited: October 1, 2017, 2:24 PM · I have checked the Naxos* website and ABC Records is not on the vast list of record labels they use as sources. That does not of course of itself imply in any way that there is something odd about the label; it might just be that Naxos haven't yet gotten around to using that particular source. There is also the possibility that ABC Records may have mastered their recordings in a way that gives a different sound to that which we have become accustomed to.
Have you done a close comparison of the ABC Records clips with the same pieces authentically performed by Ricci on the Naxos website? By close comparison I mean forensically comparing the wave forms using an audio editor. At this level Audacity should be able to do the job. We would then have a fairly definite answer, one way or the other.
* I like to think of Naxos as a good reliable bench mark; if they use a particular recording then it is very likely to be authentic.
Edited: October 1, 2017, 6:25 PM · Naxos website don't provide audio samples, and it seems they don't have those pieces available that are on the Abc website. Even remastering would not erase someone's personal sound. I truly believe this was an innocent mistake.
October 1, 2017, 9:42 PM · The ABC CD is Leonidas Kavakos playing. Trust me on that.
October 1, 2017, 9:59 PM · Wow!! We have a genuine conspiracy theory that has nothing to do with old vs. new!!
October 1, 2017, 10:10 PM · No way Ricci
October 2, 2017, 12:39 AM · Wow, this is just like that British pianist fraud from 10 years ago. Time for audio analysis.
October 2, 2017, 4:31 AM · Like I said, this was no way Ricci. There is only a handful of violinist who have an identifiable sound, whether you like Ricci's playing or not, he is at the top of the list when it comes to violinist having a distinctive style of playing and tone. Thanks everybody for your feedback.
October 2, 2017, 5:26 AM · If you pay an annual sub of $22 to IMSLP you get not only immediate access to their sheet music downloads (and I mean immediate), but free streaming access to the Naxos Music Library (currently 132,751 discs and 2,034162 tracks, rising as I write). If the Naxos library is used as I suggested earlier, then all that is needed for audio analysis purposes are streamed extracts from the Naxos Ricci CDs of the same length as the corresponding clips on Violin Life.
Edited: October 2, 2017, 6:49 AM · Mattias is right; this is Kavakos -- specifically from the aforementioned Delos disc.

But who is the violinist on the Thais and Vocalise tracks? That doesn't sound like Ricci -- but it also doesn't sound like Kavakos. I think it's the same violinist on both tracks, almost certainly from the same CD, with a distinctive way of recording the player -- placement of the violinist some distance from the microphone in a church-like space? A modern player, not someone of Ricci's generation.

October 2, 2017, 6:23 AM · None of these recordings are Ricci.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVySnrhoWKM

October 2, 2017, 6:55 AM · Thanks Mattias, you cleared up the issue.
October 2, 2017, 6:58 AM · This is fun
Edited: October 2, 2017, 8:53 AM · I wonder if it was an almighty mistake somewhere along the line in preparing an album? All you need is some unsupervised member of staff picking up the wrong set of data or source material, no-one does a double check, and away we go!

I've seen it happen many times with CD metadata.

Stercus accidit!

October 2, 2017, 9:09 AM · Simple! If they wanted it to sound like Ricci, they could have just layered some white noise over the top of the recording.
October 2, 2017, 9:55 AM · Isnt it great that the violin is such an personal sounding instrument that we can identify the player by his sound that easily?
I would not expect that it was an intended fraud, more like someone using the wrong audio files from a digital archive.
October 2, 2017, 11:48 AM · Yes, certainly an accident if only one example.
October 2, 2017, 12:31 PM · I'm not certain of that, Marc. I'm not sure why they would have digital masters of Kavakos, for instance, given that Delos is a separate company. And it still begs the question of where the remaining two tracks come from.

I can't identify that second player, personally.

October 2, 2017, 2:24 PM · I listened to the Thais meditation. I too cannot identify the player. It is not played badly though.
Edited: October 2, 2017, 4:22 PM · Rick is right and so is Mattias. The violinist is Leonidas Kavakos. Here are exact matches of the Wieniawski Polonaise and Tchaikovsky Melodie on the ABC records album..on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_QJ-SAYxWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHyokeNxnE

October 2, 2017, 6:04 PM · Thanks Nate
October 3, 2017, 12:35 PM · Anyone called the label yet and asked for comment?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music