Cello practice in front of a mirror

September 28, 2017, 1:12 PM · My teacher tells me to practice in front of a mirror, partly to help me with straight bowing. But the mirror is straight up and down (i.e., a 90 degree angle to the floor) while the cello and bow are not. So I get a distorted view. Is this a familiar problem for anyone? I am thinking of rigging the mirror so it is at about a 70 degree angle to the floor.

Replies (2)

September 28, 2017, 3:17 PM · That would probably be more efficient, but you should still be able to use a regular mirror. There is a similar problem on violin, but we still just use regular mirrors. Once upon a time I thought up an invention that would use multiple webcams mounted all around the player so they could view the appropriate angles in play without having to change their chin/neck position.

But then I realized that players who simply CAN'T use a mirror will also probably be too confused by all the different angles anyways. So the invention wouldn't do much good for the people who need it most.

Edited: September 30, 2017, 4:12 PM · Using a mirror is almost as important as using your ears. (Not being funny.)

I have a mirror from a discount chain that is framed, and has an 80cm x 60 cm reflecting surface. I stand it about 200 from the floor, tilted back at 10 degrees, and it sits 90 degrees to my music stand, and about 1 metre away from my chair. I made the stand from tube steel, but you could easily make one from wood if you can't weld.

With this set up, I can see the entire cello, nearly half the way down the endpin, to above the scroll, and the full arc of my bow arm.

If I want to use the mirror with my violin practice, I pick it up and stand it, tilted back, on the top of a book shelf, against a wall in my studio, and I stand back several metres. Again, the music stand is at an angle, so that I can see what needs to be seen.

Indispensible.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music